PDA

View Full Version : water is cloudy please help

bdean07
08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I think I may have added too much soda ash... The PH is fine according to the HTH 3 way test... It was looking pretty good but PH was low so I added about 3lbs per my Leslie's pool guy and now the water looks like someone poured molk in there. It's an 18X 48 Intex

Thanks

PoolDoc
08-08-2012, 07:49 PM
As noted in my email:

The unfortunate reality is that you've been "pool-stored" and there is no instant fix.

Here's what you need, that you can get today:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668 - HTH 6-Way Test Kit
http://www.lowes.com/pd_206474-34228-CR.MA.P.01_0__ - Muriatic acid

You'll also need some safety glasses (or sunglasses) and some of the blue nitrile plastic gloves (Lowes or Walmart)

If you're at home, turn your pump on, and leave it on. (It may, or may not, help -- depends on how small the calcium carbonate particles that formed are.)

Post test results as soon as you have them. Your membership has been updated.

bdean07
08-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Well I got the MA, but that test kit is very expensive.... over 50 bucks. I have spent so much $ on this darn pool in the last three weeks I'm drained.... Which is what I'm thinking about doing to my milk pond... (still cloudy white) Pool store guy TALKED me into the strips and of course this morning I have read several posts and found out that you hate those and they aren't accurate. I tested the water at 4am and the strips say the PH is 7.8 the Free CL is between 5-10, the TA is 240 stabilizer is 100. did The HTH 3 way that I already owned and it shows high CL 5 BR 10 and PH between 7.8 - 8.2 (color doesn't really match either square).

I cleaned the filter (I don't use the cheapo Intex) and started the pump back up to run all day it has not been stopped other than to clean or replace filters since last Saturday.

I will put the MA in today according to your directions (it's a little scary) I have all of the safty gear to protect me.

Thanks for your advise

B

PoolDoc
08-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Well I got the MA, but that test kit is very expensive.... over 50 bucks. I have spent so much $ on this darn pool in the last three weeks I'm drained.

Unfortunately, people often come here after they've already blown the budget on useless things, and have nothing left to spend on doing it right. I wish I knew how to reverse that!

bdean07
08-10-2012, 08:18 AM
The truth is that if your a new pool owner, you trust the pool store at first and you have no need to come here until there is an issue. I tried to solve my problem with thier advice, trusting they are professionals and know best. I found you when their solutions weren't working and I went to the internet to seek alternative solutions. I appreciate your time and assistance. I'm tested the water when i got home yesterday with the infamous strip and then took a sample to a brand new pool store by my house. The strip was accurate as matched to their test. PH 7.4 Free CH 3 stabalizer 60 TA 120... however the pool is still looks cloudy. I got in vaccumed, brushed and changed filter. The pool store test said the phos was high 300. The want me to put in a clarifier called Clear & Perfect? In fact the manager gave it to me for free? I decided to weait till my upcoming 3 day weekend so I can monitor it closer and decided to add nothing last night. Ran the pump all night.

This morning at 4AM I cleaned the filter. Test strip read PH 7.4 Free CH 3 stabalizer 60 TA 120. awesome if you wanna swim in a CLOUD.....

Again thanks for trying.

B

PoolDoc
08-10-2012, 12:00 PM
The truth is that if your a new pool owner, you trust the pool store at first and you have no need to come here until there is an issue. I tried to solve my problem with their advice, trusting they are professionals and know best.

Like I said, I wish I knew how to get to people before, instead of after, their pool is already a mess. What can I say? Come here next spring, and we'll make it easy!, maybe?

PS. Gonna move your pic to your avatar -- I didn't mean to allow pics in the signatures. We're going to start using that exclusively for pool info. (Ugh. Gotta go dig in the bowels of the vBulletin permissions control system. Hate that thing!)

bdean07
08-10-2012, 12:22 PM
I definatly will. I will tell anyone who mentions to me that they have a pool to come here. Hopefully that MA will work on the cloud this afternoon and we may get some swimtime in this weekend. How long after you use it before safe to swim?

PoolDoc
08-10-2012, 12:44 PM
You can swim whenever the chlorine is OK and the pH is between 7 & 8. The only hazard from cloudy water is losing track of someone -- drownings have occurred that way.

bdean07
08-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks again! LOL... I do not think we will lose anyone in our Intex pool. Even the grandkids can touch! I'm hoping that MA clears it up by Saturday. I'm gonna put it in tonight before I go to Happy hour and then I won't worry about it till the morning. Have a fantastic weekend.

PoolDoc
08-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks . . . but test your pH; don't let it get too low.

bdean07
08-10-2012, 05:17 PM
I defiantly will! Low and behold I get home and I can see blue squares!!! Still a little cloudy but I can actually see the bottom! Do you think I should still use the MA? Test says every things the same except the chlorine is a tiny bit lower 2 not 3. Let me go read up on your household bleach again because I have Clorox regular I know I read something about Clorox being tricky

PoolDoc
08-10-2012, 05:22 PM
If it's clearing, why not wait till tomorrow. Except for chlorine, we generally tell people to avoid adding things if they don't need to do so.

bdean07
08-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all you help the pool is crystal clear and grnadkids swam all weekend... Might need to add some water from all the splash out! Other than that everything tests good this morning! Again thanks for your expertise and time.

PoolDoc
08-13-2012, 11:20 AM
glad it worked out for you . . .