PDA

View Full Version : I am shopping for a heat pump + need recomendations

adl6009
05-26-2006, 08:17 PM
I am just looking for a little experienced opinions. I've seen hayward heat pro series that looks pretty good. I got what looks like a good price at poolhub. Around $2600 depending on model. Then I went to a local retailer here on Long island and the salesman insulted the hayward and wanted to sell me a focustemp for about $1000 dolars more. Thats basically all I know about heatpumps, except that scroll compressors are better than recipricating. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

waterbear
05-26-2006, 08:49 PM
If they are available in your area check out the AquaCal models. I have a Heatwave Icebreaker reverse cycle model and have been very pleased with it's operation. BTW, AquaCal is a sister company to PoolPilot (which I did not know when I bought mine) Their better model lines use (Heatwave and Aerotemp) titanium heat exchangers and scroll compressors and their warrenty is excellent. The Icebreaker lmodels will continue to work in freezing temperatures and can also cool the pool in the summer. I believe that they all have dual thermostats for pool/spa use. I looked at hayward and pentair heat pumps also before I decided on the Aquacal. Hope this is helpful.

Lenny
05-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I have an AquaCal Heatwave and it's worked very well so far. I use it to heat a spa as well. Now that temps are in the 80s here, it heats extremely well.

One thing to consider is the noise. I'm currently building a structure to block some of the sound because the heat pump is fairly loud. Not sure how this varies between manufacturers.

adl6009
05-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. I called poolhub's customer service line and talked with an informative gentleman today. I wanted to find out about shipping information and asked a few questions about the hayward. Essentially I was told the hayward was a very good product, that the amor coil has been in production about 4 years and that he hasn't heard of any major problem with the unit. Two questions I have is about the dual pool spa set ups. Are there 2 inputs and 2 outputs, or do you vlave off the plumbing so you will heat the spa and pool at different times? (Don't hot tubs have their own heater? I don't have one now, but thats the next purchase) And secondly, should I set up a bypass valve so I can run water back to the pool without running it through the heatpump when the water is warm? Thanks again. (If all goes well I'll be placing the order this tuesday and installing the unit next week.)

waterbear
05-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Two questions I have is about the dual pool spa set ups. Are there 2 inputs and 2 outputs, or do you vlave off the plumbing so you will heat the spa and pool at different times?

There is one intake and output. In most pool spa combos that share a pump/filter/heater valves are used to select the pool or the spa. Automation is wonderful here!

(Don't hot tubs have their own heater?
Portable spas ususally do. Ones that are built in with a pool might and also have their own pump and filter or they might share this equipment with the pool. In a shared system the dual thermostats allow to you select different temps for the pool and the spa
I don't have one now, but thats the next purchase) And secondly, should I set up a bypass valve so I can run water back to the pool without running it through the heatpump when the water is warm?
Mine wasn't plumbed that way. When the water is warm the heatpump just doesn't come on but the water flows through it. Downside to a bypass valve, IMHO, is that during the summer you might leave it bypassed for months and stagnent water will stay inside the heatpump.
Thanks again. (If all goes well I'll be placing the order this tuesday and installing the unit next week.)

Hope this helps.

MarkC
05-30-2006, 12:22 PM
I think a titanium heat exchanger is better than a copper one.

adl6009
05-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all your help. i am getting ready to jump into the next phase. I will order the heat pump in the next day or so and I am trying to decide now about building the new manifold. I plan on getting a new chlorinator and multiport since bothe these items are now 10 years old. I will be checking out local contractors to see what thier price and availability are. I'll let you know how its going.

scottturner
05-30-2006, 03:22 PM
which heat pump did you decide on, and why? I am looking to purchase in the next couple days. Thanks.

adl6009
05-30-2006, 09:14 PM
The hayward heatpro 21002. I believe I got a good price from poolhub, hayward is a large manufacturer of pool stuff so there should be a large network of repair facilities available. There is no water chemistry exclusion in the warranty. And I got the dual thermostat in case I get the hot tub. What are you looking at and why?

scottturner
05-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Leaning toward the Jandy AE2500 from here http://www.poolheatpumps.com/Heat%20Pump%20Price%20List.htm. Seems to have all the right parts. I am still digging in, but I was also looking at the Heat Siphon. I am probably going to give them a call tomorrow and have them help me decide as it is really down to just pulling the trigger. I will update after I have talked with them.

MarkC
05-31-2006, 11:49 AM
I have the Heat Siphon and am very happy with it. I don't have a spa.

adl6009
06-02-2006, 06:49 PM
I ordered the hayward heatpro HP21002 for $2764 plus 170 shipping to my front door. Now the big issue will be how to build the new pipe system. I will be getting new a new multiport and chlorinator. I went over to the local pool store and asked a few questions about these two parts and the kid working there answered "Uh, I dunno" to just about every question I had. I started another thread asking about this stuff. Hopefully I'll have as many helpfull replys over there as i did here. Thanks for the help.

dlubin
06-03-2006, 10:43 PM
I just put in a Jandy AE2000 and love it so far - wiring was a snap, plumbing as well (just 2" fittings, unions included).

adl6009
06-04-2006, 12:50 AM
I got my first estimate on the 220 line today. He has to run 15 feet from my circuit breaker box, drill through the house and mount a service disconnect on the outside of the house. To be honest I couldn't believe the number they came up with. $1200. There will be other estimates.

adl6009
06-05-2006, 12:47 PM
I got 2 more prices, $1090 and $900. Lets see, 3 hours of work, thats more than $300 per hour, I guess I should have been an electrician. And it goes to show I am still in the 1970's, I figured no more than $450 for the job.