PDA

View Full Version : hurricane & pools

mikewaterskis
05-26-2006, 06:56 PM
My pool just got finshed end of March and we are loving it and i love reading the site its been giving me lots of information on how to take care of my pool (thanks)..... but we live in South Florida and we got hit with 3 hurricanes in the last 2 yrs.... So what does anyone do to prep there pool for hurricanes? I heard you should shock it but i'm using a SWG .....

10,500 gal inground, pool/spa, swg, heat pump, 2hp pump, etc.....

aylad
05-26-2006, 07:00 PM
You can always use bleach to shock it....hoping this year's hurricane season gives us all a break!

Janet

larry2338
05-26-2006, 08:34 PM
We'll likely have hurricanes affecting us too. Among other things, with our IG vinyl pool, I fill the pool nearly to overflowing if we're expected to get 8-10-12 inches of rain. Had a liner float once before because of water pressure in the ground around the pool and don't want to have to deal with that again.

PatL34
05-26-2006, 10:41 PM
You don't say if it is plaster or vinyl. Either way I would lower the level about a foot to prevent the salt water spilling over on to your grass, unless that is salt-tolerant.

I would also shock up to 15 ppm, in case of a power failure, but not with the SWC. Remove all chairs, tables, umbrellas, pool rakes, and toys.

If there is pool screen with exposed sides, be prepared to cut holes in the mesh. We lost ours with Hurricane Charley for not doing this.:mad: It's a tough call.

When the storm is over, check carefully for any animals in the pool and skimmers!!:eek:

Pat

mikewaterskis
05-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Plaster pool..... with Diamond Brite....

I have a swc but what would you use to shock it without using the swc... beach? shock? and how much??

10,500 gal pool/spa

Mike

PatL34
05-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Distribute the bleach around the pool and spa, adding about 2 gallons based on Mike Smith's bleach calculator to bring it up to about 15 ppm.

Pat

Looony2nz
05-27-2006, 03:46 PM
....not to sound stupid, but shock with bleach (straight regular old bleach?) and bring what?? up to 15ppm. What is it that I'm bringing up to 15ppm (chlorine?)

Shari in South florida

xoroniox
05-27-2006, 04:34 PM
....not to sound stupid, but shock with bleach (straight regular old bleach?) and bring what?? up to 15ppm. What is it that I'm bringing up to 15ppm (chlorine?)

Shari in South florida

shock = bleach = chlorine = liquid shock they are all the same thing, sodium hypochlorite. only diffrence is concentration levels, as long as the "straight regular old bleach" has no scents or additives its fine to use. you are bringing up your chlorine levels in the pool to 15 Parts Per Million. hope that clears some stuff up for you.

-Arron

cajunfla
05-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Remove all chairs, tables, umbrellas, pool rakes, and toys.

Pat

I once read, many moons ago, that you should throw all you PVC tables and chairs in the pool. They will not corrode and it saves your storage space for other stuff.

Jeff