PDA

View Full Version : Average daily chlorine loss and CYA

jwhouse
08-03-2012, 12:20 AM
I was curious to know what everyone's average daily chlorine loss and their CYA levels are. I was wondering because I'm not sure how much I should actually should be losing. I know temps and amount of sun exposure also play a part.
Mine are as follows:

Average daily CL loss = 3.5ppm
CYA = 45
Full Sun for approx 7 hours
Average temps for the area are 92-96 (not including heat index)

What's everyone else's numbers look like?

aylad
08-03-2012, 11:28 AM
I keep my CYA at 90-100 for that exact reason. Since my climate is very similar to yours, you might try bumping your CYA up just a little to see if you slow your chlorine loss at all. When I keep my CYA at 40-50 ppm, I lose 4-6 ppm of chlorine daily. With it at 90-100, my loss slows to an average of 2-3 ppm. My pool is in full sun from 8 AM until around 7 pm during the summer. Air temps lately are 98-102, pool temp yesterday afternoon was 96 degrees. I dose with bleach every 2-3 days.

Darkside
08-04-2012, 01:48 PM
im in central FL on the east coast. my pool is exposed to the sun all day with no shade except from cloud coverage. last time i checked my CYA ( 2 months ago per my log book ) i was around 110/120 using a dilution test. my pools water temps range from 86 to 92 degrees in summer depending on what mother nature is doing. with my CYA numbers i loose around 2-3 PPM in a 24 hour period. the 2-3 PPM loss of FC includes us using the pool at leats 3 to 4 times per week. i have lost as much as 4 PPM of FC when my wife has her friends and their kids over for summer play date/pool parties, thats 3 moms and like 5 kids in the pool playing.

like aylad i dose every 2-3 days, but i only test FC when i dose. the exception to this is if my wife has friends and kids over in the pool, i will test that same day and adjust if needed.

i know that if i test my water right now and i show 9.5 PPM FC then i can dose with 3 quarts of bleach and get right around 15-16 PPM FC. i can pretty much bank on having around 9-10 PPM FC if i test three days later at wich time i will dose with enough bleach to get me right back up to around 15-16 PPM. also, since going BBB with my CYA levels my pool has not seen anything below 8 PPM FC.

also i have had zero complaints from my wife or the other moms with my " high " FC levels! and to think i was told by the pool store to NEVER go swimming in the pool if the FC was over 3 PPM. my wife tells me that her mom friends always comment on how clear and comfotable the water feels!

aylad
08-04-2012, 06:02 PM
and to think i was told by the pool store to NEVER go swimming in the pool if the FC was over 3 PPM.

If only that was the worst the advice ever gets!! :rolleyes: