PDA

View Full Version : New user from Louisiana

swimmingpoolmike
08-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Hello folks.
I am looking to improve my pool water quality. I currently have the following setup;
- 16 X 32 in ground pool with vinyl liner
- Hayward sand filter and pump
- salt water
- compu pool controller CPSC 24 Series

I have owned the home with pool since 2003, converted it to salt water in 2010. The liner has been changed a few times due to mother nature (hurricane damage). I am currently dealing with the summer heat, algae and low chlorine. I hope to gain some knowledge from the subject matter experts. I look forward in visiting the forum.

Thanks, Mike

Watermom
08-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Hi, Mike, and welcome to the Pool Forum!

The first bit of advice I can give you is to get a good test kit. The one we recommend is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C which you can get through the test kit link in my signature below. It is only available online. Go ahead and order one, post some water testing results and hopefully we can help you make algae in your pool a thing of the past.

Also, do a lot of reading here on the forum and on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. (Until your registration is complete, you'll need to log out in order to be able to see the rest of the forum, however.)

Hope you enjoy the forum!

swimmingpoolmike
08-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Much appreciated watermom. I am looking forward to seeing algae a thing of the past. I am dealing with my compu pool salt controller for my chlorine level has been low. My salt level was low (1550 ppm) so I have added salt to get the salt level @ 3500+ ppm to see if this cures the problem. What benefits does the Taylor K2006 test kit offer that the HTH brand 6 way tester cannot? Thanks in advance. Mike

Watermom
08-02-2012, 08:42 PM
The Taylor K2006 can test chlorine levels up to about 50 I believe. The HTH 6-Way kit can only test chlorine levels up to 5pm.

PoolDoc
08-03-2012, 08:11 PM
One key tip: SWCG's do well, when your water's fine. When it's not, though, you need to just turn the SWCG off, and run manually. On your pool, a good place to start is with 5 gallons of PLAIN 6% (chk %) bleach EVERY evening, till you hold a dark yellow chlorine level to the following day. The SECOND time you add bleach, brush the pool completely, and than add another gallon.

Good luck!

swimmingpoolmike
08-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the in info PoolDoc!

Currently the pool is nice and blue. I am working my salt level back up as what was stated earlier. I added a dose of algaecide earlier in the week and currently no algae present.

PoolDoc
08-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Great!

aylad
08-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Just because you don't see algae doesn't mean it's not waiting to grow--make sure you're keeping adequate levels of chlorine in the pool, or it will soon be green and swampy.....algaecide alone won't work!

swimmingpoolmike
08-04-2012, 09:31 PM
With the right level of chlorine and algacide this should keep the algae at bay right? Based on the PoolDoc's comment, get the chlorine level where it needs to be then maintain that level with the SWCG? I do appreciate everyones help with this and also ways of saving money in keeping the pool sparkly clean!

swimmingpoolmike
08-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Good morning folks!

I added 5 gallons of 6% bleach yesterday evening and this morning the chlorine level is between the 5-10 range according to my HTH tester. Brushed pool as instructed and turned the SWCG back on for I will be leaving the home for the day. I will check late tonight to see results.

Pool still looking good thanks to the help here! You folks are awesome! Have a great day!