PDA

View Full Version : Pool Survived Vacation! ?? Chlorine levels

mroll
07-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Hi,
Thanks to all you wonderful moderators, pool survived me being away 9 days...Son put bleach in 'almost' everyday and we had quite a bit of rain. However, pool is very clear BUT FC levels got higher..5.0 yesterday and 4.5 today..TC was 0 yesterday and .5 today.. PH and TA still 7.4 and 100 respectively. Did not put bleach in today.
1) Do I need to be concerned about higher FC levels and
2) Do I have to test the CYA again? ( last test was few days before we left and it read a questionable 30.
THANKS...
M

Watermom
07-31-2012, 08:15 PM
If your CYA is 30, FC of 5 is fine. (Read the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below.)

I kinda doubt that your TC was 0 and 0.5. I suspect that you mean those were your CC levels? (FC + CC = TC)

Did you add any additional CYA after you last tested it? If not, then there is no reason to waste the reagent testing it again.

Glad the pool survived and hope your vacation was a good one!

mroll
07-31-2012, 08:31 PM
If your CYA is 30, FC of 5 is fine. (Read the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below.)

I kinda doubt that your TC was 0 and 0.5. I suspect that you mean those were your CC levels? (FC + CC = TC)

Did you add any additional CYA after you last tested it? If not, then there is no reason to waste the reagent testing it again.

Glad the pool survived and hope your vacation was a good one!

THANKS...You are Right..I meant CC...
Nope no additonal CYA put in so I'll just continue with my 3 cups bleach I guess.Right?
.Has not been hot and sunny for awhile though it is expected to return I guess weather including rain has kept chlorine levels up.
Vacation was great. Thanks again.............

Watermom
07-31-2012, 08:54 PM
It may or may not be 3 cups of bleach per night. I'm sure somewhere in your other thread, someone has given you the reference amount for your pool's bleach doses. (EDIT to add: In your pool, each cup adds about 0.7ppm of chlorine.)

What you need to do is test your pool each evening and then add however much bleach it takes to get your chlorine back up to about 6ppm. If you find that by the time you test again the next evening that you have dropped below 3ppm, then add a little more to get to 7ppm that evening. You want to make sure that you don't let your chlorine drop below 3.

You may want to raise your CYA up to 40-50. Most people find this makes it easier for them to keep chlorine in the pool. You can either use dichlor for a little longer, or some trichlor pucks or add a little CYA separately. Your choice.

BigDave
08-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm so happy your pool was still clean when you got home. One-up for your son for getting it done!

Watermom is absolutely right: FC of 5ppm is good, you need to test and adjust your dose daily (the 3 Cups a day way just for your son), and you probably want to move your CYA up.

mroll
08-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I was testing in morning past few days. Today I will test around 5:30pm today and add bleach accordingly to raise to between 4ppm and 5 ppm. This may NOT be 3 cups, right?
I think I should test CYA again before I start adding dichlor to bring it up..Is that right also?
Pool looks great. I wish the weather did too...Perhaps by Friday.........

BigDave
08-01-2012, 03:38 PM
I think you'd be better off aiming for 7ppm like Watermom said - then work your way back down if you end up with more than 5ppm each night. The goal is to be sure to stay above 3ppm FC all the time.
You're right, do test CYA when you get a chance then figure out how to raise it.

mroll
08-01-2012, 06:11 PM
OK will let you know what happens in a day or two. THANKS

mroll
08-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Yesterday FC said 2 and CC 8 which did NOT make sense. Put in 3 ounces of dichlor to raise CYA as suggested.
This morning with basic test clorine was way over 3 and then this evening FC 4 CC.5 and did CYA test which read about 55. So I put in 3 cups bleach. So now I'll stay with bleach right??
Thanks

BigDave
08-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Sorry for not checking in - I was completely (almost) offline - camping with WEBELOS.
Yep, with a CYA of 50ppm to 60ppm you are good. I think you should be adjusting bleach dose to maintain an evening FC of at least 5ppm (test before adding bleach). Let's call the FC 2 / CC 8 test anomalous, but do keep an eye on CC.

mroll
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
OMG..Cannot keep chlorine level up!!!Yesterday in evening FC was 2 so put in 4 cups of bleach..This morning (after tremendous rains last night)FC was .5!!!! I have gallon of shock from Leslies. I want to put in half of it. WHAT do you think??? Where is my chlorine going???

BigDave
08-06-2012, 02:11 PM
That's probably too much. Try 4Cups (1qt). and lets see where that moves your FC, CC and pH. What is your pH now, after the rain?

mroll
08-06-2012, 02:54 PM
PH 7.3..Just added 4 cups shock..When should I test again? tonight right?

BigDave
08-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Can you test about an hour after adding the liquid chlorine? Let's see where that moves the FC, CC and pH.

mroll
08-06-2012, 05:00 PM
OK did FC was 3 and CC .5 Forgot to do PH... Will...

mroll
08-06-2012, 07:44 PM
OK did FC was 3 and CC .5 Forgot to do PH... Will...
OK Added additonal 2 cups shock and PH is LOW 7.0 so adding Borox too. WHAT HAPPENED HERE??? Oh water still clear...

BigDave
08-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Can you test again this morning? I think your pool my be starting an algae bloom. Are the walls slippery? Is the water clear?

mroll
08-07-2012, 10:15 AM
THANKS!!
Just tested..on way out..FC 4 CC .5 and PH 7.6..Water is beautiful and clear..FC going up slowly..Dont really want to add more dichlor. ...When get back home later afternoon, going in so will feel walls. I dont think they are slippery... Will check numbers again at 5:30 when filter goes on....ALGAE??????NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigDave
08-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you, you've been asking what's going on - so - I gave you my thought about your chlorine demand.
I think that 4ppm FC is too low and you need to add some more bleach or Liquid Chlorine (LC) sooner than later.
If you don't see or feel any algae then let's stay with regular FC (5ppm - 10ppm) levels for a while.

mroll
08-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you, you've been asking what's going on - so - I gave you my thought about your chlorine demand.
I think that 4ppm FC is too low and you need to add some more bleach or Liquid Chlorine (LC) sooner than later.
If you don't see or feel any algae then let's stay with regular FC (5ppm - 10ppm) levels for a while.

Well walls DID feel little slimy but water still clear..Test FC was back down to 2 PH down to 7.4 SO I put in 4 cups of the liquid shock. Is that enough? Chlorine was so stable for so long.. Do you think this is cause of heavy rains?? Was no heavy use age..
thanks again...

mroll
08-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Well walls DID feel little slimy but water still clear..Test FC was back down to 2 PH down to 7.4 SO I put in 4 cups of the liquid shock. Is that enough? Chlorine was so stable for so long.. Do you think this is cause of heavy rains?? Was no heavy use age..
thanks again...

Just added 6 more cups of shock after reading further on this forum..Hopefully that should do it....

BigDave
08-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Rain doesn't cause high chlorine demand, the beginnings of an algae bloom do. I think it's pretty clear that algae's got it's foot in the door and it's time to shock.

As I recall your last reported CYA was 55 - how did you come by that? Half way between 50 and 60? Let's use 60 to be safe.

According to Ben's Best Guess Chart (http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess-swimming-pool-chlorine-chart.html) the shock level for your pool's CYA is 20ppm. One large jug (182oz) of plain household beach should get you there to start. Put it in, brush the pool, and test FC and CC half an hour later. Add bleach as needed to get the FC above 20ppm.

As often as possible (at least twice a day): Test FC and CC. Add bleach as needed to get the FC above 20ppm. ( In your pool each Cup of 6% bleach adds 0.7ppm of FC )

Brush the pool daily.

Run pump / filter 24/7; clean as needed.

Continue until one day after you you have 1ppm or less FC loss overnight ( test FC near sundown and again near sunrise ) and there is 0.5ppm or less CC and the water is clear. The one day after is to be sure we've got it all.

You can swim but wear an old suit as swimwear might be damaged by the shock level FC.

mroll
08-08-2012, 09:22 AM
HELP!!!Before you posted I ran out and tested .FC was 7.5. I'm leaving in a bit I can throw in 1 gallon more of bleach and run filter before I go (Canot brush) OR I can test again around 3:30 when I'm back and see if I'm still loosing chlorine. Then either leave it or proceed with your instructions of throwing more in. Which should I do???

BigDave
08-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Put the gallon of bleach in and brush when you get home. Buy some bleach while you're out. Run the filter.

mroll
08-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Put the gallon of bleach in and brush when you get home. Buy some bleach while you're out. Run the filter.

Sorry.. Confused..Bleach in NOW ...Brush Later...Filter Now??? or everything later?

BigDave
08-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Yes, put bleach in now.
Brush when you can.
Filter all the time.
Start the shock process as soon as you can.
Sorry for being unclear.

mroll
08-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I truly appreciate all your help. Much thanks. I will throw bleach in now before I leave and let you know whats what later.
Oh BTW since I've been home I have been leaving the bleach outside. Could it be losing its efficiency? I cannot imagine what caused this to happen when it was gong along so good.....
Later

BigDave
08-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Yep bleach (and especially Liquid Chlorine) degrade over time - the higher the concetration, the faster the degradation. This is accelerated by heat and light. Best to store your bleach in a cool dark place.

mroll
08-09-2012, 06:52 PM
This is getting very confusing...last night FC was 8.5..This morning FC 6.5 so I added a little less than a gallon (all I had left) Ran to WalMart and stocked up on bleach.. At 5:30 pm I added 12 cups and tested 1 1/2 hours later and got FC 10 so then I added 6 cups more. I must STRESS that the pool is still sparkling clear and the walls seem fine too. I did test the CYA again and it was 35!!!SO WHERE THE HECK IS MY CHLORINE GOING???.WHATS GOING ON????.. I am running LOW on the reagent drops for chlorine testing now too so I guess I better reorder that too...
To add to this thunderstorms are expected tomorrow and Saturday!!
What do I do????????

PoolDoc
08-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi Marcy,

It's getting a bit hard to follow what's going on with your pool. To make it easier on BigDave and others who've been helping, please do two things:

1. Complete the Pool Chart:

Pool Chart Entry Form (http://goo.gl/cNPUO)

2. Go back to the 31st and log all your chemical readings and additions in your Pool History form (I just created it, and sent you the links by email.) You can view the results but you'll need to be logged into your GMail account to do so.

Thanks!

Ben

mroll
08-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Ok I believe its done. I put one entry in the wrong column but its pretty obvious.(Chlorine in use instead of chlorine added) Since I've been testing twice a day for a few days, I have additional notes.
Thank you so much for your help I'm confident that you will be able to figure this all out.
In addition, we are supposed to get thunderstorms Friday and Saturday...
THANK AGAIN>>>>>>>>>>>>

BigDave
08-09-2012, 10:12 PM
The CYA test is the most subjective in the K-2006 and is sensitive to lighting conditions. Is it possible that one of your CYA tests was read indoors or under a cloudy sky and the other in bright sunlight?

I believe that with your FC loss, persistent (but low) CC, and your report that the walls felt slimy, you have the beginnings of trouble. I also believe that you'll do better by getting ahead of it sooner rather than later.

Follow the plan. If you feel that the actual CYA level in your pool is 35 and not 60, then use 15ppm as your minimum FC level. Other than that, follow the shock plan. Maintain FC above the minimum shock level. Keep it up until your pool passes the overnight FC loss test. Don't let the FC level drop below the minimum shock level until you're done.

The thunderstorm won't affect your pool unless you ignore the pool because of it.

Note:
I'll be around tomorrow but then I'll be pretty much offline for a couple weeks (Big Family Vacation). I'll drop a note to the rest of the PF team to look for your questions but please follow the plan, it works, it takes patience but it will work for you.

Be well.
Dave

mroll
08-09-2012, 10:32 PM
I cannot explain the CYA test result change. Today I took it and read it by a window natural not bright light. I 'm not quite sure of the conditions last time. I will test FC and CC in the morning and add more bleach accordingly. Then I will test again at night and add to bring it to 15. It should of reached at least 14 after all the bleaching tonight!
Thank you for all your help Dave and have a wonderful vacation.

PoolDoc
08-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Not seeing your pool chart info . . .

Pool Chart Entry Form (http://goo.gl/cNPUO)

Also, please do a COMPLETE set of test today, including TA and CH, and post those results in your Pool History.

PoolDoc
08-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Got the chart info now (see your signature); got the 8/10 @ 8:30 partial test results; looking for complete test results including TA, CH & CYA.

If you aren't sure how to do them, there's a complete set of videos, here:
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17157

mroll
08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I put in all the info I have..CYA was 35 yesterday..TA was 110 today. Dont do CH...These are entered in.. I will take another reading tonight and add more. I will try to watch video when I get home later! THANKS

mroll
08-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Ok I just made new entries for 5:45 pm..FC down to 7.5 and CC .5. Probably down due to periods of intense sunlight and periods of rain storms. Right? ALSO have clear solar cover on ..if that makes difference...
I did NOT lose chlorine during night. Dave said to give it two nights. So I put in enough bleach to bring it back to a FC15 and hopefully I will hold this reading for the morning.
IF SO, do I then let it fall naturally back down to a reading between FC3 and FC 6 per Best Guess Chart???

BigDave
08-11-2012, 03:00 AM
1ppm FC or less loss overnight AND 0.5 ppm CC or less AND clear water PLUS 1 day - Shock finish point.
After shock, let FC fall to maintenance range. Never let it fall below minimum.
Have a good one!
Be well
Dave

mroll
08-11-2012, 07:58 AM
1ppm FC or less loss overnight AND 0.5 ppm CC or less AND clear water PLUS 1 day - Shock finish point.
After shock, let FC fall to maintenance range. Never let it fall below minimum.
Have a good one!
Be well
Dave
YIPEEE!!! Did it... No loss AGAIN last night!!! (two in a row!!)and CC 0 and water clear!!! THANK YOU!!!!!ENJOY VACATION!!!!!!!!!!

BigDave
08-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Congrats! Enjoy you pool!