PDA

View Full Version : Separate pump for heater?

DrMacZed
07-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Howdy,

I have an INTEX 16' above ground pool. I have attached to it a passive solar heater that I built.

A bit of info on the heater the collector coil is 400feet of 1/2" ID poly pipe (funny pipe I think it's called) the feed and return pipes are 3/4" ID poly pipe. the whole assembly is sitting on a stand the tilts the face of the collector at a 45 degree angle the lower part is approximately 5 feet off the ground and the upper is closer to 8 or 9 feet.

The pump that came with the pool will circulate water through the system but only just. I know i am getting a ton of pressure loss due to the distance from the pool to the heater and then the 400 foot run through the smaller pipe.

What would be the best solution? A bigger pump? Or some sort of "helper" pump to circulate the water through the heater? Larger feed and return pipes?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

PoolDoc
07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
I'll see if Al can look at this -- he's sorta the resident gizmo-guy.

DrMacZed
07-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Awesome! Thanks very much.

Poconos
07-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Welcome to the forum Scott.
First, if it isn't configured this way already it would be a big benefit to put the 400' in parallel. 4x100'. You can easily build 3/4 to 4x1/2 manifolds for the input and output. That would cut the flow resistance greatly.
Next, you may consider only diverting some of the water through the solar. Although theoretically from a heat transfer standpoint the more flow the better, you only need a slow flow, practically. I shot for about a 4 degree F rise in mine. My field heater is about 90 feet from and 10 feet above the equipment. It's 1200 feet of the 1/2 poly fed by 1.25" pipes and four 1.25 x 6x1/2 manifolds.
The problem you may have, and I do, is when diverting only part of the flow to the solar, if you get air in the solar system, getting enough flow and pressure to purge it. With only 5', when it is full of water you have gravity on the return side working with you so you don't need much pressure at the input to get flow. With air you need enough pressure to overcome the 5' rise to get started. This is easy to do by just diverting all the flow to the solar until the air is purged, then cutting back. If everything is totally airtight you should only need to do this when you open the system for some reason.
I don't know what you are using for a backing on the rack but since mine is laying on the ground I put a layer of black rolled roofing down first. Keeps the weeds down and provides a nice hot back surface.
Hope this helps.
Al

PoolDoc
07-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks Al.

Ben

DrMacZed
07-27-2012, 01:01 PM
I had to read it a couple times But I think I am tracking now, took me a minute to wrap my head around what you were saying. So instead of the coil of hose I have now I should do something akin to the below as opposed to a single hose line. I can see now how the system you describe would be much less restrictive in terms of flow, a bit more labor intensive to build but it does make a lot more sense.

The verticals being the manifolds, and the horizontals are the smaller diameter hose.

|-------------------------------|

Thank you very much for pointing me in a better direction.

Scott