PDA

View Full Version : "Foam" on surface

hoosier56
05-26-2006, 07:51 AM
I just found this forum. It seems like an awful lot of nice people trying to help.

I just opened the pool three days ago-what a mess. Green and more green.

Anyway, I added enough to get my readings to the following:

CL 3.1
ph 8.0
Alk 150
Hardness 210
CYA 35

I dded some algaecide -not sure what kind-Poly or ?-it was dark blue and had to be diluted per instructions.

I have a chlorinator runnig 7x24 with 3" tabs.

This morning the surface was covered 100% with a white foam. I skimmmed and it seemed to disolve back into the water. It is still green underneath.

I was wondering 2 things-1) What do I do about this foam? It seems to be clogging in the skimmmer. 2) how high should I try to get the chlorine level and should I throw some acid at the ph?

Thanks for any advice.

duraleigh
05-26-2006, 10:18 AM
I have never used it but I believe the algaecide caused the foam. Posts here indicate it will subside but I wouldn't use any more of it.

Bring your pH down to around 7.2 - 7.6. That's where you need to keep it. Muriatic acid does well for this. Download bleachcalc if you haven't done so and use it for your acid doseage.

You need lots of Clorox. That what's gonna' clear your pool. Start with enough this evening to bring you Cl up to about 18ppm or so. It will start down IMMEDIATELY so be prepared to add more clorox to bring it right back up to 18ppm tomorrow morning. Follow this procedure daily and your water will clear. run your pump 24/7, backwash when necessary, and brush and vacuum probably once a day. You will see a huge difference in the next few days if you stick with this regimen.

I'd get rid of the 3" pucks. They're driving your CYA up and it's about high enough already. You may go back to them from time to time but I wouldn't use them as my primary source of Cl.

seminolewind
05-27-2006, 10:21 PM
I had this very problem three years ago, with the 'foam'. My return line was sucking air and that fixed the problem. I had used an algaecide and with the sucking of air, it made it all nice and frothy on the water's surface. Hope this helps.