PDA

View Full Version : Calcium and pool heater

seminolewind
05-26-2006, 05:08 AM
I read somewhere on this site that you don't have to worry about calcium with a vinyl lined pool unless you have a heater. I just had my pool hooked up to my outdoor furnace for heating so I gotta ask, what is an ideal calcium number to shoot for when dealing with this heater as I do have a vinyl lined pool? And if it's too high/low what are my options to remedy it? Thanks.

waterbear
05-26-2006, 07:40 PM
what is the heat exchanger made of and what are your current test numbers for the pool?

seminolewind
05-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Hi, my exchanger is a coil of copper tubing from the manufacturer. So far my numbers are:

TA: 110
FC: 4
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
For my calcium reading the water never turned red when I added the indicator, what does that mean?

waterbear
05-27-2006, 10:13 PM
What test kit are you using? if it is the aquachem test kit from places like walmart there seems to be some problems with the Calcium hardness test. See this thread
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1112

If you are using Ben's kit or a Taylor kit and the water turned bue when you added the indicator it means you have 0 ppm calcium hardness.

seminolewind
05-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks waterbear for getting back to me. I'm using a drop kit from Leslie's and when I initially added the indicator, there was absolutely no change in the water color. What does that mean if anything?

waterbear
05-27-2006, 11:41 PM
If I am not mistaken the Leslie's kit is a rebranded Taylor kit. If this is true you first add 20 drops of calcium buffer, then 5 drops of indicator (which is blue in color but turns pink if hardness is present) then titrate drop by drop until the color changes to blue. If the Indicator stays blue when you add it then there is not CH present. If this is not the kit you have I am really not sure.