PDA

View Full Version : Changed pool light myself!

edarling
05-26-2006, 01:06 AM
After getting brave by all you do-it-yourselfers, I decided to fix my pool light myself. I noticed that there was water in it - about half way up. I just called an electrician to fix the outside plug, which does not support the filter because it flips a GFI switch, but the other plug works to run the aquabot which uses less power. I realized that the light was the cause of this problem, since the water was at the bottom of the bulb screw in location!!

When pulling out the light, there was soooo much dead algea in the area behind the fixture. It was gross - like the dust bunnies you find under you teenagers bed - that much stuff fell into the pool. So, I'm glad I did it. The hard part was putting back on this metal bracket that surrounds the glass lens, gasket and housing to keep it all tight together. That took about a half hour - there must be a trick I am not getting, but I eventually got it.

It fixed my GFI issue and I can now use my plugs outside. I also had a problem outside with two other plugs that were not related, but I figured that out too. Very stupid problem - the room inside the house that leads to the deck had a mystery switch in it. We always figured it turned on one of the outlets in the room, which all the other rooms have a switch like that. Apparently, this switch turns on the two outside plugs! I put in a small night light on the plug and left it on while I foolled around with breakers, GFI in the garage, and switches and finally found the issue.

Anyway, I can call the electrician and cancel and save myself a few hundred bucks, I bet. Thanks for the motivation, guys! It really wasn't that hard.

- betty

mbar
05-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Congratulations, on a great job! I loved the dust bunnies under the teens bed - it was a perfect description for a mind picture!

Crystal Clear Pools
06-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey just a quick note to anyone trying to change a pool light. There not all easy like this one. My run from my pool to my junction box is 75 feet for both my spa and my pool. And there is a ground wire in the conduit from the pool to the junction box that seams to get in the way. The guys I hired were from the electrical company that put the lights in 7 years ago. It took two of them to do the job. It took 4 hours to put my pool and spa light in plus alot of swearing. The cost was 672 bucks plus 750 for the colorlogic light. It was worth every penny to have them do it. Steve