PDA

View Full Version : SWCG and Unplugging the Copper Ionizer

RedwingT
07-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to know if I should plug the ionizer back in after use of the SWCG as to keep it dry. It has a cpl prongs that fit into the cap I pulled off and I'm not sure if they need to stay dry since the cap is such a heavy gauge rubber and there's a fitting around it to keep it tightly sealed. I'm assuming it's to keep it dry?

Just finished filling a bit ago and added the salt etc. Running the SWCG now and will get my first readings in the morning.

Thanks
Can't wait to take a dip tomorrow! ~;o)

RedwingT
07-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Hello anybody out there, anybody?
My posts seem to get lost in the cracks somehow. Hoping someone see's this thread and can give me a hand here. There have been views, but no replies.

RedwingT
07-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Readings for Yesterday (Tuesday)
CL .5
PH 7.2
That was after running SWCG for 3 hours and filter for 4 hours.
My pool is in full sun most of the day. My "son" swam yesterday most of the afternoon. Evening readings to follow:
CL 0 (possibly .5, I'm colored blind and these yellows are so hard to read)
PH 7.5
Ran filter all night

This morning's readings:

Cl 0-.5
PH 7.2
CYA 30 (Is the dot suppose to totally disappear, mine turned gray but not totally gone)
TA 70 (more of a pink/red-added an extra drop seemed a tad bit redder) Damn colored blindness!
TH 120

I now have the SWCG running for 4 hours to try and produce more chlorine.
Also I have noticed some people testing FC, what is that?
So, whatcha think bout my numbers?

BigDave
07-25-2012, 04:33 PM
I think you need more chlorine. SWCGs can be great for maintaining chlorine in your pool but are not very goot at bringing it up. I'd put 5 or 6 Cups of plain 6% household bleach (no fancy scented splashless or outdoor - just plain bleach - 6%) and do it quick before your pool turns green.

The FAS-DPD test that in the K-2006 separately measures Free Chlorine (FC-kills germs and algae) and Combined Chlorine (CC-indicates FC is engaged in oxidising stuff in the pool).

If you haven't yet ordered a K-2006, you should. It should be especially helpful as there's no shades of yellow to distinguish - sample turns pink if chlorine is present - add drops until sample turns clear, should be easier to read for you.

RedwingT
07-25-2012, 06:37 PM
I will def add the bleach tonight, especially after having 5 ppl in the ppl this afternoon. After running the SWCG for 4 hours earlier in the afternoon my chlorine came up to 1. I'd still like it a bit higher than that thou. Plus I am going to have to add more water because of splash out so I'm sure the bleach will help.

I have also ordered the kit, just waiting on it. So glad to hear I don't have to try and distinguish yellows anymore! lol

Another thing, Where are we suppose to dump the test waters when were threw with them? Is it ok to just fling it in the yard or do I need to worry about it harming the grass or worse yet possibly effecting my dog?

Any thoughts on the the original post regarding covering the copper ionizer when not in use?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Watermom
07-25-2012, 06:57 PM
I can't answer the question about the copper ionizer, sorry. But about disposing of testing water, I always just just dump it in the yard. So far, none of my dogs has grown three heads! ;)

RedwingT
07-25-2012, 07:21 PM
I can't answer the question about the copper ionizer, sorry. But about disposing of testing water, I always just just dump it in the yard. So far, none of my dogs has grown three heads! ;)

LOL That's good to know Watermom! ;)

rmk_racer
08-05-2012, 10:19 PM
First off, I want to make it clear that I am a complete pool rookie!

And I may be out of line responding... But I did install an Intex 15' X 48" pool with Intex 1600 gpm pump and SWCG in June. I never plugged in the copper ionizer and have just left the connections hanging. I have had no issues with this.

And thanks to this forum and the K-2006 test kit my water has been perfect!

PoolDoc
08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
I never plugged in the copper ionizer and have just left the connections hanging.

Intex staff told me that it was fine to do this, though it wouldn't be a bad idea to use some Scotch 33+ electrical tape to cover up the connections.