PDA

View Full Version : Trouble finding Borax and other newbie dilemmas

domino
07-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Hello

About two years ago we bought a house with an inground 12,000 gallon concrete outdoor pool which had been put in by the previous owners and used for about 8-10 years. I live in Puerto Rico so our pools do not have a spring startup because they do not get closed for the winter. These two years have been touch and go as to pool care, to say the least. Sometimes the pool is fine (usually in the cooler and drier winter months) and sometimes we get recurring algae problems (usually in the more humid and warmer summer months).

I have read some posts in the forum as a non member and have read the tips at pool solutions. Finding the Taylor 2006 test kit has been a pain down here (the 2005 is readily available) and I'm just going to order it online (or the TF-100 probably).

After reading a lot I have concluded that I need to stop using trichlor tabs because they keep lowering my ph and I can't keep raising it with sodium carbonate because my alkalinity, which is at 150 now, will go through the roof. Running the filter 24/7 with the two fountain-like water inputs we have isn't really an option because electricity costs are prohibitive down here (running them for 10 hours seems to keep ph levels steady but is still more than I'd like to).

The recurring algae problem may or may not be due to CYA levels (the pool store people said they were low but after reading here I don't trust them) and in any case the blooms happen more in the summer.

I want to start using Borax in my pool to see if I can simplify maintenance but I can't find 20 Mule Team in Puerto Rico. I called The Dial Corp, which manufactures it, and they said they no longer bring it down here due to previously poor sales. I have read that Proteam Supreme, Bioguard Optimizer Plus, Poolife Endure, Guardex Maximizer are all similar products (although more expensive). I'm having trouble finding those as well. Can you post all the brands that are basically the same?

Thank you for any help.

Watermom
07-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Hmmm. Can you order Borax online? I don't know the ingredients of the products that you listed. I'm going to ask Ben to advise you on them.

Regarding the kit ---- the K-2006 is only available online. Having it will make your pool maintenance a lot easier for you. Once you get a good kit, please post your current readings.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

(By the way, I used to live in Puerto Rico --- Ponce. Where do you live?)

domino
07-24-2012, 02:23 AM
That's great to hear watermom! I live in Guaynabo. Thanks for the welcome.

I should receive the TF-100 kit this week.

As for buying Borax online, the shippping basically doubles the price, and the online prices are about twice the Wal-Mart price so I'd end up paying 4 times what people normally do. If I can find an alternative in a pool store it may actually be cheaper.

Watermom
07-24-2012, 08:30 AM
I understand the shipping thing. Hopefully, Ben will get a minute at some point today to take a look at your question about those other products and get back to you. I did contact him about it yesterday. Good luck and glad to have you on the forum!

PoolDoc
07-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Just use soda ash -- pH Up. Borax is a superior alternative, but if you can't get it, soda ash is what most people used for years.