PDA

View Full Version : Does Zeolite help in removing iron from the water?

smallpooldad
05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
I have been reading on some websites that zeolite helps to remove iron from water and is altogether a better media than sand. The filter size is 300 lbs and the pool 9000 gals open year round with lots of air born red-dirt.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

duraleigh
05-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Unless there is some chemical reaction I'm not aware of, iron dissolved in your water will pass through the zeolite just like it does sand.

Sand works. It is in many commercial pools and in thousands of crystal clear residential pools...mine included :)

KurtV
05-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Zeolite may be marginally better than sand but it's no panacea (and I don't think it removes any metals).

waterbear
05-25-2006, 10:44 PM
The only chemical that I know of that zeolite will remove from the water is ammonia and ammonia compounds. This is why it ihas been used as a chemical filter medium in fresh water aquariums for many years now.

gwrace1
05-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Typical filter sand is a round slick granule that filters by capturing suspended particles between the grains of sand. As the suspended particles build-up on the top 2-3 inches of sand, better filtration takes place. Sand media can remove particles down to about 40 microns in size. Zeolite, on the other hand, consists of a rough angular surface in additional to its micro-porous structure. As water flows through the Zeolite media, larger suspended particles are captured between the grains of Zeolite, as well as, on its rough surface. Zeolite filters down to 3-5 microns or about the same as a DE filter.
In addition to superior filtration, Zeolite provides longer filter run times than sand. Because of Zeolite's large amount of available surface area, the filter can run 4 to 6 times, and in some cases, longer before the filter pressure rises to the point where backwashing is required. This feature conserves water and reduces the use of chemicals to maintain water balance. Zeolite also reduces the amount of head pressure in the filter. Typically, the starting pressure with Zeoliteis 2-3 psi lower than with sand. This is due to Zeolite's micro-porous structure that allows water to flow through the granules, which reduces the amount of water resistence to lower the head pressure. This feature equates to lower electric consumption by allowing the filter motor to operate at a lower Hz, which reduces the kilowatt hours used. An additional feature of Zeolite is its ability to remove ammonia and chloramines from pool water.

My 26" sand filter required 350 lbs of sand. I only needed 175 lbs of Zeolite. I have an Iron rich water supply that comes from a south Texas well. I fill the pool from a hose with a 2 micron iron removing filter. I've also used Metal Out and Polyquat to aid in removing metals. My water has been crystal clear since startup in early March. I've backwashed one time since startup and pump runs 12 hours per day. In my opinion Zeolite is the way to go.

duraleigh
05-26-2006, 07:18 AM
In my opinion Zeolite is the way to go.

Well, I am such a sand advocate I just have to respond.

It seems to me that if the zeolite is capturing ALL those tiny particles that sand is missing, time between backwash and pressure build up would be greater since it's trapping so much more gunk.

I don't think I have any ammonia in my pool (or do I?) So that benefit wouldn't help me over sand. Nor do I have any chloramines to any appreciable extent. If the zeolite removes chloramines, does that eliminate the need to shock?

The use of a 2 micron filter and metal out may have answered the original question as to whether zeolite removes metal from the water.

Lastly, I have yet to backwash since start-up....I've gained about 2psi in filter pressure since. based on last year, I expect to backwash two or three times this Summer. My water, thanks to this forum, is pristine.

After all the above, I am not saying that everyone should run out and buy a sand filter. Conversely, I wouldn't be in a huge rush to use zeolite, either. If it is the "magic bullet", the marketplace will soon sort that out and sand as a medium will simply no longer exist....don't count on it. :)

KurtV
05-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Dave, I have zeo in my sand filter but I mostly agree with you. I think it is, at best, slightly better than sand.

As has been pointed out here and several other places over the last couple of years that I've been paying attention to this, the inter-particle spaces in a mass of zeolite, where most of the filtering takes place, aren't much different than those in sand. I'm sure that some finer particles get trapped in the micro-pores of individual zeolite particles, resulting in the marginal improvement, but I think it mostly filters the same way sand does (which is pretty good).

I also run a little DE in my zeolite filter and again, at best, I see a very slight improvement over zeolite alone.

Probably much more important than which medium you choose is getting the largest filter you can afford and right-sizing your pump to that filter and your pool.

Bottom line for me: For a very slight price premium over sand, especially when ammortized over the life of the filter medium, I'll take whatever slight improvement I can get in filtering.

duraleigh
05-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Well said, Kurt. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't try it myself IF I ever change my sand. Hopefully, it will outlast me.

I particulary liked your point on filter size and pump-filter relationship. I believe my water is so clear because I was lucky enough to catch on to this (from this forum) and purchased a really big filter (950 lbs) and an adequate pump.

In fact, If I think about it, I'm not so much a sand advocate as I am a sizing advocate.

We all frequently try to make our pools more complex than they need to be and we all hope to find that "magic bullet" (interestingly, the pool store always has one of those bullets...whatever your problem is).

It's not a bad idea to review Ben's premise when he started teaching all of us.......keep it simple. :)

smallpooldad
05-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Thank you all for your replies. It looks a little like 50/50, so the decision is not yet made.