PDA

View Full Version : Brown Vertical Lines on Above Ground Pool

HockeyDad
07-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Morning!

I’ve tried just about everything I can think to get rid of this problem. All around the pool liner, on the walls, starting about 2 feet below the surface, I have brown vertical lines that follow the corrugation.

I have a 24 foot round above ground pool. After the latest winter I had a ton of algae in the pool, algaecide, tons of shock, vacuumed to backwash, and switched to a new filter...it's all dead. The water is balanced and crystal clear; I’ve had it checked at the local store several times. The pool floor is perfectly blue. It's just the stupid walls!

I’ve tried brushes, even a kitchen sponge, I’ve spent hours scrubbing and so far nothing is working. It makes the pool walls look dirty and is driving me nuts.

Anyone been through this have maybe have a tip?

Thanks

PoolDoc
07-22-2012, 06:59 PM
No idea.

Two things you can try:

1. Get some Vitamin C tabs (ascorbic acid) and hold them against the stained area for several minutes. If it's an iron stain, you'll see some definite lightening. And, then, we'll be able to tell you how to remove it.

2. Take some pictures, and send them to poolforum@gmail.com. To help, they'll need to be LARGE in-focus pictures. Cell phone pictures might help, but probably won't.

HockeyDad
07-23-2012, 02:38 PM
I bought some vitamin C pills, jumped in, held one against the wall and wow what a difference.

Just holding the pill under my finger and moving it along the wall cleaned the liner, now that area is bright blue like it should be. it does make sense, i do have a well and over the past 3 years we've had the pool have had to top off the level.

so that probably means i need to clean everything, the walls and the bottom. Any recommendation on a solution and a tool to make that a bit easier?

do i then also need to worry about the stains that are lifted off the walls?

From reading some of the other posts i bought a CuLater pack, it's in, we'll see if it turns colors.

PoolDoc
07-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Removing it is a 3-step process:

1. Lift the stains by re-dissolving the iron.
2. KEEP the iron soluble, with HEDP
3. REMOVE the iron with filtration (as it precipitates) or with the CuLator.

The whole process is here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?7923

HockeyDad
07-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks much.

i spent a good amount of time today reading and just read that very post. We'll see how it goes...

HockeyDad
07-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Just to close this one out, the kids had a get together earlier this week so i didn't want to do the whole process and not have the pool available, but i wanted the original look back.

So i sent the wife off to BJ's to buy Vitamin C pills and grabbed a pair of nylons. Cut the foot off, filled it with pills, tied it off and used that to rub down the sides of the pool and the floor. Took about three hours to finish it all, but it was worth it.

i have one of the CuLator packs in, hope that will help long term.

Thanks for the quick tips, it's appreciated.

PoolDoc
07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
So i sent the wife off to BJ's to buy Vitamin C pills and grabbed a pair of nylons.

That's an interesting solution, and worth remembering!

PoolDoc
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
HockeyDad's picture:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AIZkqJWUvyo/UBHBR653yjI/AAAAAAAADpo/QzIiBsBgFNA/s800/web_3589.jpg

Watermom
07-26-2012, 08:33 PM
The water looks beautiful and very inviting!