PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water System GFI Question

outinaustin
07-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Hi All,

I have a 16' x 48" pool with upgrade to 1200 GPM sand filter and Intex CS8110 salt water system (purchased from Lowes for$169) . Chemistry is balanced as best as possible with strips, but they are basically unusable. Free chlorine is off the scale on the low side, PH result is 2-toned, and total alkalinity seems ok. I added 100 lbs of pool salt and cyanuric acid for 50 ppm. Inspite of the the uncertainty, the pool water looks like it's comming along nicely, although I ad about a cup of bleach daily for good measure. I have a Taylor pool test set on the way.

My problem is that I noticed the GFI box that comes with the Intex saltwater system is getting quite hot, about 120 degrees Farenheight. The voltage to the plug is good with everything turned on, about 120 volts AC. The sand filter is pluged into the second spot on the outlit and it's GFI housing is cool to the touch. To be clear, both the pump and chlorine generator came with a factory GFI .

Has anyone else noticed that their Intex saltwater system's GFI gets very hot?

aylad
07-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

While you're waiting for someone that can help with your questions, I just wanted to point out that you can use the google search feature linked in my sig to search through the forum and archives for other similar questions, although you'll need to log out to read them until your registration is completed by Ben.

PoolDoc
07-21-2012, 01:07 AM
The contact info for Intex is here:
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17884

They sometimes ship some dodgy gear, but they seem to be very good at replacing it. A GFCI under normal load should not get very hot; call them.

IGnatius T Foobar
07-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Has anyone else noticed that their Intex saltwater system's GFI gets very hot?

Mine doesn't. Under normal operating conditions, a GFCI should not heat up. Is your unit still under warranty? If it is, by all means have it replaced. If not, you have several options available. The most simple option is to cut the bad one off and wire in a new one. Or you could replace it with a standard plug if (and only if) you have a GFCI somewhere in the electric supply running to it. This could take the form of a GFCI-protected extension cord, a GFCI-protected outlet, or a GFCI-protected circuit breaker.

All the obligatory disclaimers -- check your building codes for any local regulations, work with an electrician if you have to, this post is for informational purposes only, etc etc etc.

BigDave
07-23-2012, 03:19 PM
While IGTF is right to caution you to ensure a GFCI is in the circuit, I would have to warn not to "field modify" the electrical protection of this type of equipment. There is no margin for error and the stakes are high - the result of failure is dire.

You now know it's misoperating. Please replace as a unit either through warranty or purchase

outinaustin
07-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks to everyone for replying. It's just over a week old, so I am taking it back to Lowes for a new one. I hope the replacement does not get hot too.

PoolDoc
07-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Sounds like a good idea.

Don't be surprised if Lowes tells you to contact Intex; Intex seems to have been shipping replacement bits and pieces very promptly.