PDA

View Full Version : Leslie's sent free chemical-can I use?

supermom
05-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Hello everyone!! I am a Baquacil to bbb convert and had ordered some test kits from Leslie's via internet. Someone screwed up and sent me 3" jumbo tab step 2 sanitizer (99.4% trichloro-s-triazinetrione). Is this something I can use?? Have a 9500 gal ag vinyl that has been crystal clear from 2 weeks now after the conversion!!!! Thanks to all!!!
Misti

duraleigh
05-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Misti,

If you post your test results for CYA, you might be able to use it. Without those results, my answer would be "no way!"

supermom
05-25-2006, 02:59 PM
My readings as of today are:
pH 7.5 (have been adding muratic acid before start aireating) was 7.8
FC 3
TC 3
total alk 260 (should I be concerned, our fill water from city is high? I thought I'd aim for 170)
CYA 48

Is this stuff they sent me actually CYA???
Thanks, Misti

prh129
05-25-2006, 03:10 PM
It's stabilized chlorine so it has both chlorine and CYA. It will chlorinate your pool but also add to your CYA level and lower your pH. With a CYA of 48, you're on the high end of the 30-50 ppm recommendation by most on this forum so in that regard, you probably shouldn't use them.

If you do, all it means is that as your CYA creeps up, you will need to maintain a higher level of chlorine.

Peter

rhosk
05-25-2006, 03:12 PM
I would recommend NOT using the pucks. Your CYA is a tad high, but manageable. And yes, you may want to attack the high alkalinity issue as well (not an emergency by any means). There's a "stickie" that tells you how to go about it.

Edit: Posted with Peter - wasn't reiterating :)