PDA

View Full Version : Better hoses for Intex pools?

IGnatius T Foobar
07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey everyone, forum newbie here, hope to make some friends :)

This is our first year with a pool, an Intex 14' Ultra Frame. So far we're very pleased with it.

I would like to move the filter pump (1000 GPH cartridge model) and SWG to a site about 20-25 feet away from the pool. Do these pumps have enough pull to do that, or am I asking for trouble?

Even if I can't re-site the equipment, I'd still like to replace the cheap plastic hoses with something a little more durable. What's a good type of hose to use for this application, and can anyone point me to some links that show how a good do-it-yourselfer completed this task?

aylad
07-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi Ignatius,

I can't answer your questions, but there are folks around here who can--just sit tight and someone should be along soon. However, while you're waiting, you can use the google search feature linked in my sig (you'll have to log out to read the results until Ben upgrades your registration) to search the forum and archives for info regarding your question.

Welcome to the forum!

PoolDoc
07-20-2012, 07:26 PM
I would like to move the filter pump (1000 GPH cartridge model) and SWG to a site about 20-25 feet away from the pool. Do these pumps have enough pull to do that, or am I asking for trouble?

Even if I can't re-site the equipment, I'd still like to replace the cheap plastic hoses with something a little more durable

I know the Intex hoses are cheap, but I haven't seen evidence that they fail very much. That may simply be because people haven't posted that info here, or it may be that the hoses are actually quite durable.

But, I also haven't seen detailed info on connecting other pipes and hoses. If I were going to do it, I think I'd get a spare hose, and poke through the plumbing section of Lowes or Home Depot till I found a way. But, I'm a plumber so I have a pretty good intuition about what I can get away with, and what's likely to fail.

However, if you succeed in doing so, and run your extension with either 1.5" hard PVC or 1.5" full diameter flex, you shouldn't have problem from flow so long as the pump stays well below the pool. I don't believe those pumps do not have ANY self priming capability.

IGnatius T Foobar
07-22-2012, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't expect such a cheap little pump to self prime. I'm not expecting professional grade performance from a pump included with a $300 pool set. However I do like to tinker and I've got a perfect site for the pump and SWG, directly behind a detached garage about 20-25 feet away from the pool. The electric hookups would be a little less cumbersome there, and yes, I'd rather extend the plumbing away from the pool than extend electric towards the pool. I want the equipment out of the way of Swimmers' Feet (tm).

I'm envisioning a pair of hard PVC lines for the bulk of the run, and some sort of flex at the pool end, since Intex pools tend to have a bit of play to them when swimmers are moving around inside and I don't want to put undue stress on the liner. Maybe a couple of valves since my pool set came with the stupid caps instead of the plunger valves.

Thanks for the tips. Any suggestions on what kind of flex I should use that will withstand the weather and the pool water?

BigDave
07-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Intex pools seem to come with two different types of hose, one uses hose clamps to secure the ends and the other has a collar nut at the ends. It sounds like your pool has the kind with the hose clamps - if it is, you're in luck. My Intex donuts were all the hose clamp type, and after two sets of the original hoses failed after a summer of exposure, I changed to 1-1/4" nylon reinforced PVC tubing. Its ID is a little bigger than the original hoses but will eaisily compress enough to make a tight fit. You can also use standard hose barbs to transition between this tubing and your hard PVC lines. This tubing will cloud with exposure to pool water and sun but it worked for me for several seasons.

IGnatius T Foobar
07-23-2012, 11:29 AM
You are correct, my pool does have the 1-1/4" hoses that are affixed to the pool with ordinary hose clamps. Thanks for the tip!

BigDave
07-23-2012, 01:04 PM
These hoses are pretty stiff but if you leave enough length, they'll move with the pool.