PDA

View Full Version : uv sanitizer

jroberts
07-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Considering adding a uv sanitizer to my system, any information would be appreciated (effectiveness, chemical use with sanitizer, cost, installation, etc.).
Thanks

Watermom
07-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi, and welcome to the Pool Forum!

Below is something I am copying and pasting from a post PoolDoc wrote previously in regards to UV sanitation:

UV systems are NEVER pool sanitation systems . . . because a pool sanitation system has to treat the water in the MIDDLE of the pool. UV exists only in the contact chamber.

UV system can have some real benefits on indoor pools, but they are essentially useless on outdoor pools.

At the PoolForum, we do not provide support or advice on operating an outdoor pool using 'chlorine alternatives' for a very simple reason: such systems are neither safe nor effective! (Bromine systems can be, but they are sort of a "What's the point" system. They provide no benefit over chlorine, and have slightly more 'toxic' byproducts.)

You can do more reading about UV by using the Google Search in my signature below. Until your registration is completed, you'll have to log out to see the results, though.

Hope this helps some.

Speedo
07-18-2012, 03:30 PM
I've heard that UV systems help chlorine oxidize faster, but the chlorine is still the sanitizer and raising your FC level would work just as well.