PDA

View Full Version : My new old pool

ranand
07-17-2012, 02:49 PM
First off, I have enjoyed reading the forum and the replies have been mainly useful. This has allowed me to work reasonably adequately on the new pool, to me, but 7 year old pool in reality! The pool fittings were not cared for by the prior owner. All were understanably brittle but many broken during the winter teardown before I took it over.

I have replaced all but one union and now am having a problem at the inlet hose at the return. The return was replaced with a fitting from Leslies Pool. It is a Hayward return and the inlet hose is also a Hayward with a 1.5' and 1" SKT to MPT. The leak occurs right below the hose adapter and not at the return adpter i.e. the large hexagonal nut at the pool wall. The dripping is a drop per second. A slower version is coming from the automatic feeder. I have teflon tape on the fittings. I am tightening the platic to 1 turn beyond hand tight. The older ones were cranked as far as they could and something cracked which is why the new pieces. Given that I am hesitatn to torque these.

Any ideas for this repair. I have more questions but want to sort these out since they relate to the other issues.

BigDave
07-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Is it leaking from the hose side or the threaded side? Is there a hose clamp on the hose?

ranand
07-17-2012, 07:30 PM
The threaded side. The smooth part of the adapter is locked tight with the new hose and clamp.

BigDave
07-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Let it leak a few days, it may just stop. PTFE (Teflon) tape works that way. If it doesn't stop, try re-making the same connection with the same number of wraps of pink teflon tape insted of white. The pink is alot thicker and fills in the gaps better.

ranand
07-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks BigDave. I will look for the pink teflon tape. Would that be available at the local home improvement store? Should I be using a silicon type grease at the joints too?

BigDave
07-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Yep. Home improvement stores, with the plumbing stuff. I only use silicone grease for o-rings - the kind made for o-rings. I believe I read here recently someone suggest using silicone grease to try to seal suction side leaks.

ranand
07-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Bigdave

Pink is my new favorite color, at least with Teflon tape. That worked. The white did not give the seal as this did. I now going to balance my water chemistry

Oval 30 x 15 16000 gallon above ground 1.5hp cartridge filter
Ph 7.5
TA 20
Cya 40
Tds 500
fc 0
Tc0

The leak arose after the fc and tc dropped to 0. The hose also burst and there was a simultaneous algae bloom.

Added 13.5 lbs of sodium bicarbonate. This brought TA to 120 and PH to 7.5. Added 2.4 g of 6% bleach. The chlorine demand was too high and had to add 3lbs of sodium dichlor. Fc went up beyond 10. My kit unfortunately does not show beyond 10. I did get a 310-830 Leslie's kit which is a 2005 and have a k1515 from Amato ordered. Hopefully I can get a real number of fc.

I have got rid of the green and the water is clean. Also cleaned the filter and have been running it for 72h continuously. The overnight fc loss is still more than 1 ppm.

My question is I do have some green at the bottom of the pool still . The pool is in full sunlight for 6h and it has been very hot but given the fc level I thought there would be nothing growing. Do I need 16 ppm fc? I am at a loss since I don't have the fas kit yet.