PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate experience with Aquabot repair

TomC
07-17-2012, 10:08 AM
About a month ago my Aquabot Turbo RC, which is about 11 years old, stopped working. Because neither of the two motors were running, I thought the problem resided in the power supply. I called the repair shop, about 40 miles away from my home, and brought in the power supply and the Aquabot. They tested the Aquabot and the power supply, said the problem was the timer on the power supply. They bypassed the timer and called me to pick it up. When I got it home, the Aquabot would not run, neither of the motors were getting power it seemed. So I called them back, and brought the Aquabot and it's power supply back to them. They said they'd make this repair a priority.

2 weeks later I called them. I was informed that both motors were bad and needed replacing, at a cost of over $600.
So i told thenm not to repair it, and I bought a new unit. When I went to pick up my non-repaired unit they couldn't find it, and I was told I'd get a call later. Once I got home a message was waiting for me that they re-diagnosed the unit, and all it needed was a tune-up, which involves replacing belts and brushes and tracks, for a cost of about $250.

I actually replace these parts every few years myself, and I failed to see how they could prevent the motors from even turning on. So I called back and explained that I didn't think that was the problem, as the motors just don't seem to be getting any juice. I asked them not to repair it, and that I'd be right down to pick it up.

Once I got there, they told me the actual problem was the plug that went from the aquabot to the transformer. They told me it would be a $150 repair. I said thanks but no thanks, paid their diagnostic fee and went home. I purchased the connector online for $45, and spent 20 minutes repairing it myself. It works fine now.

Had I let them the repair the motors and the belts, I would have spent over $800 on this unit, and it STILL would not have worked. Troubleshooting these things just isn't that hard, and I'm disappointed in the way this company handled the whole affair. Live and learn.

Tom

aylad
07-17-2012, 10:19 AM
That whole experience would make me NOT use them for any repairs at all! Were you able to return the new unit you bought?

Janet

TomC
07-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Actually Janet, the new unit moves so much faster and does such a great job on the pool, I think I'll keep it and sell the old one on ebay or craigslist. And that company will never get any more business from me.

Tom

aylad
07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't blame you a bit!

Janet

Shredhead
07-20-2012, 05:37 PM
What kind is your new unit?

TomC
07-20-2012, 07:08 PM
I bought an aquabot viva. It's really a great robotic cleaner, with a good warranty.

Tom