PDA

View Full Version : High Alkalinity (175) but leaving for vacation

moblaine
07-15-2012, 02:04 PM
My TA has been running between 120 and 130 this summer but I just tested and it came in at 175. Other readings:
FC 1.5 (I was at 3.0 a few days ago but have been adding water - see below)
CC 0.0
PH 7.6
CYA 100

I began to suspect over the past week that I had a leak as water level appeared to drop surprisingly low and I marked level with tape before dark and checked first thing in morning which confirmed more loss than just evaporation. I have my pool installer coming over (hopefully tomorrow) but in the meantime, I've been adding water with my hose. I can only assume from the sudden spike in Alkalinity that my well water caused the increase. The Alk was previously higher than I wanted but I was delaying with treatment as the muriatic acid process scared me a bit. Should I be taking care of the high alk before leaving for 11 days or is it best to deal with it now? Any other info needed?

aylad
07-15-2012, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't worry about an alk of 175 NEARLY as much as I worry about cl at 1.5 with a CYA of 100. Better get some chlorine in there quick, or you're gonna come home to a swamp!!

Your alk will be okay, but 8 ppm is the minimum for cl with CYA that high....

moblaine
07-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks Aylad. Will get that chlorine taken care of. I had been at 8 ppm but it's gone down as the well water enters the pool.