PDA

View Full Version : how exact do my tests have to be?

vickeybear
07-14-2012, 11:39 AM
I need some advice on my testing results. I have an InTex 12ft x 24ft rectangle ag pool with swgc. My water is crystal clear and soft.
Fc= .5 - 1
Borates. 30
Cya. 100
Ph stays steady at 7.2
Alkalinity. 110

My question is should I leave it alone or try to get my results more perfect. I have read several places about how much my fc should be and it seems that I am running lower than normal, and my alkalinity a little high. I wonder if I'm heading for trouble if my test results aren't exact. I am using the tfs kit from this site to take my measurements.
Thanks for any advice!
Vickeybear

Watermom
07-14-2012, 04:00 PM
With a CYA of 100 and a free chlorine reading of 0.5-1, yes, you are heading for a swampy green pool! Take a look at the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below. It shows you how much chlorine you need based on your CYA level.

Now the next concern is that your CYA may be much higher than 100 since that test can't differentiate past that point. Run the test again with a diluted sample. Take one part pool water and one part distilled water, mix, and run the test with this mix. Multiple your results by 2. If you still get 100, do one part pool water to two parts distilled and multiply results by 3.

Your pH is Ok at 7.2 but you don't want it any higher. Alk is fine.

It's much easier to answer your questions, when we know something about your pool. We often 'waste' the first few posts back and forth collecting information. So, please complete our new Pool Chart form -- it takes about 30 seconds, but will save much more than that.
Pool Chart Entry Form (http://goo.gl/cNPUO)
Pool Chart Results (http://goo.gl/PXaLu)

Also, tell us exactly what all you have been using chemical-wise in your pool. (Ingredients and not just "shock" or "pucks.")

One last thing, are you aware that the SWCG adds copper to the water? Copper is what stains things and turns blonde hair green. Most people think it is chlorine that does it, but it is copper. You can disconnect the copper ionizer from your SWCG and it won't hurt a thing.