PDA

View Full Version : Intex Salt system and Sand Filter Question

2manycars4me
07-14-2012, 08:40 AM
We have an Intex above ground 15x42 pool. The pool has been up and in use since Memorial day weekend. When we filled the pool we elected to go with the Salt water system. We installed an Intex 6110 salt system and used it with the provided pump. We have had extremely dry weather in SW Indiana and the paper filters were only lasting 1-2 weeks so we decided to upgrade the filter pump to an Intex 56673EG sand filter system. This is a 1600 GPH system, I know a little much but we are planning on upsizing the pool next year.
The manual with the sand filter does not recommend this for use with our current salt system. Has anyone used this set up. I don't want to hook everything up only to find the salt system won't function with the sand filter.
Thanks.

aylad
07-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Hi,

I can't answer your question, but there are others on this forum who can, so hopefully they'll be by shortly with information for you. Does the manual specify why that filter isn't recommended? I find it a little strange, because people use sand filters with SWCG systems all the time with good results.....anyway, just wanted to stop in and welcome you to the forum!

2manycars4me
07-14-2012, 11:02 AM
The manual for the pump/filter is the one which says not recommended for the 6110/6120 SWCG. I am not sure if it is the flow or some other reason. The initial pump which came with the pool is rated for 1000 GPH and the sand filter is 1600 GPH. We had planned on a larger pool next year and bought this as the original pump and filter combo is a pain having to change/clean filters every one to two weeks.

PoolDoc
07-17-2012, 07:45 AM
I don't know why a sand filter would be incompatible with salt. However, I'd guess that Intex does, and that if they say it's not compatible, it's not. Your best bet is to call Intex. However I'm not sure that will help - they are very good at sending out free replacement parts, but all the agents I've talked to are non-native English speakers so that even if they explained what was going on, I'm not sure I could understand.

Intex does suggest replacing cartridge filters every 2 weeks. You can improve filter performance by using better cartridges (links below) but you won't necessarily go longer between cleaning.

========================================

The OEM cartridges in Intex filters are not high quality. The Intex manuals recommend replacing them completely every 2 weeks. A BETTER option is to replace them permanently with 2 - 3 Unicel cartridges, and rotating them through a cleaning solution. Properly maintained, the Unicel cartridges will last all season AND will filter better. So even though they cost more per cartridge, they cost less per season!

But, purchasing them is tricky. Amazon does not reliably stock them, and some of the 3rd party sellers are charging high prices and/or high shipping. So, check the Amazon link, but watch out for the prices and shipping costs.

It would be nice if you could just buy them elsewhere, but many of the online pool stores are listing Pleatco or other Asian made low quality filters, as "Unicel C-4607 type" or "fits Unicel C-4607". So shop carefully!

Here are the Amazon links:

Unicel C-4607 Replacement Filter Cartridge (Easy Set Size A or C) (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BNPRC2/poolbooks) @ Amazon
Unicel C-5315 Replacement Filter Cartridge for 15 Square Foot Intex B Filter (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0039X2XZK/poolbooks) @ Amazon

2manycars4me
07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
I Figured out the issues. A 6110/6120 SWCG from Intex are rated at 1000 GPH flow rate. The new pump is rated at 1650 GPH flow. I looked at two other SWCG a 8110 rated at 1600 GPH flow and a 54601EG which is capable of 4000 GPH flow. I guess we will upgrade the SWCG to accommodate the new pump.

PoolDoc
07-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Sorry for the problems!