PDA

View Full Version : Sams/Costco Chemicals

elkabong86
07-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Are these chemicals ok to use? I've heard that they have inert/bad ingredients in them that can turn pool water green or cause other issues.

aylad
07-12-2012, 03:20 PM
For the most part, the chems from Sams are okay to use--in fact, their dichlor (PoolBrand) is the one that Ben recommends. Costco, on the other hand, has been known to sell some of the chems with added "goop" that we try to encourage people not to use. If you're buying trichlor tabs, check the ingredient label and don't buy any that have copper listed as an ingredient--and don't waste the extra money with the zinc blends they've come out with this year. They don't seem to have any real effect on the water, but they cost twice what normal tabs do.

Welcome to the forum!!

PoolDoc
07-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Sams "PoolBrand" dichlor and trichlor is fine.

The Costco products we've seen locally (Chattanooga) are blended goop. But, this trichlor is fine:

www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11617928
though THIS trichlor powder is a mess:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11524614

Poconos
07-13-2012, 06:51 AM
If I remember right, a few years ago, I saw two flavors of pucks at Sams. One was a Multi action or something like that and the other just plain. Ingredients however both showed the same so you couldn't tell from that part of the label. Maybe the multi one had copper? I think the multi was a little more expensive too. Always get plain. That was at a Sams in northease PA.
Al

PoolDoc
07-13-2012, 07:08 AM
Could be. "Multi-action" is a bad word, when it comes to pool chlorine, and usually means 'goop'.

In my area, and online, the only products I've seen this year the unblended PoolBrand stuff, but that doesn't mean they can't slip some bad stuff in at local stores.