PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful summer....let's keep it going!

ScottsPool
07-12-2012, 12:23 PM
So, it has been a great summer in the pool here on the farm! Now, I would like to keep it that way and I am going to Wisconsin for a week. Short of hiring a pool sitter, how can I keep it from going green while I am gone?

aylad
07-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Do you have somebody that can come by and add bleach for you? Do you have a cover? Do you have trees, bushes, or anything else around the pool that will be dropping debris into the pool whle you're gone? Can you post a set of test results for us, taken with drop-based kit, to look at?

The best solution would probably be just to have a neighbor come by and pour a jug of bleach in the pool for you every couple of days with the pump running. Howveer, if you have debris that is likely to plug up your skimmer, and said neighbor can't come by to make sure the skimmer basket is cleaned out, then your other best option would probably be to add a dose of Polyquat, then shock the pool, then cover it while you're gone. Another alternative would be to add the Polyquat, shock the next day, and add some trichlor tabs to a floater that is tethered to make sure it doesn't float over to the side of the pool.

If you'll list a set of test results, it will make it easier for us to advise you of the best option....

Janet

ScottsPool
07-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Got my pool tender lined up. Gonna just keep it covered and disconnect the skimmer (still run pump daily). I will have it clean and dosed when I close her up on Friday. Then she will dose it at the daily pump time every other day. I have premade jugs with the correct dosage.

pH 7.8
Calcium hardness 300ppm
TA 350ppm
CYA 60ppm
FC 5.8ppm
CC 0ppm

Watermom
07-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Have a great trip! Your chlorine is on the low end of the range for a CYA of 60. You want it to stay between 5-10 all the time. When you get back. start a thread for some help in lowering your TA. With a high TA, high CH and high pH, you are risking some scaling issues and maybe cloudy water issues, too.