PDA

View Full Version : Going on Vacation for a week how do I leave my pool?

NJPaul
07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
So I'm going to be on Vacation for a week and don't want to come home to a mess in my pool. Should I just cover it and leave it? Should I set the filter on a timer to run for 4-5 hours everyday? Should I shock it before I leave or when I get back? Just looking for some advice as it's been perfect so far maybe I should just cover it and leave it?

Thanks in advance.

Watermom
07-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Post a current set of readings. Do you have trees nearby or anything that is putting debris into the pool? Do you have a neighbor that could come by and pour a jug of bleach in a couple of times while you are gone?

Watermom
07-12-2012, 08:49 PM
RVJames --- I moved your post into its own thread. It is better not to try and give advice for more than one pool within the same thread. You can find yours here;

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17868-RVJames-Going-on-Vacation-for-a-week-how-do-I-leave-my-pool

NJPaul
07-15-2012, 09:05 AM
I do have trees that are constantly dropping debris in the pool which is why I cover it every night. I'd rather not have to ask someone to mess with it while I'm gone. Could I just add the bleach before I leave and then and when I get back?

AnnaK
07-15-2012, 04:24 PM
That's what I did last year when I was gone a week: I raised the chlorine to FC=20 ppm, then put the solar cover on and folded one small section over to expose water, maybe 4 sq ft. My pump is on a timer to run 6 hours at night. When I came back I still had 8 ppm chlorine and a clean pool.

Watermom
07-15-2012, 06:08 PM
The worse thing that can happen is that you have a little algae but if that is the case, we can help you clean it up.