PDA

View Full Version : I'm searching for an in-depth post about BBB

dennisoralls
07-12-2012, 08:46 AM
I know this question is asked all the time and there must be some good existing threads. Oh, I'm mostly doing this because I have to post here to get my full privileges.

Watermom
07-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Do a lot of reading here on the forum, especially the stickied threads at the tops of each of the sub-forums. also, do some reading over at our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. Lots of good info there as well. Then, come back here with any specific questions you might have and we'll do our best to answer them!

(Until your registration is complete, you'll have to log out to be able to see the rest of the forum.)

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc
07-13-2012, 10:15 AM
I may be misreading you completely, but I know a lot of people get a false impression about what BBB is; namely that it's a strict "Bleach, borax and baking soda" regimen. Since the "BBB method" was just CarlD's (one of the super moderators here) name for MY ideas about how to operate pools, I feel somewhat entitled to define it. Carl's name came from the 'grocery store' pages, explaining how you buy chemicals (bleach, borax and baking soda) for your pool at the grocery store, cheaper than at the pool store. But, it ALWAYS referred to more than just that.

And MY definition is just to manage your pool as easily, effectively and safely as possible, using accurate testing and generic chemicals.

Lots of pools don't NEED any added baking soda ("Alkalinity Increaser"); for small seasonally filled pools, dichlor can be a better source of chlorine than bleach, and while we prefer borax instead of soda ash (pH increaser), some pools (for example, those with SWCG) do not need ANYTHING to raise the pH. But those pools can operate via the "BBB method", too.