PDA

View Full Version : Floating pool skimmer?

gumbeaux71
05-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Anyone using a floating pool skimmer, such as this one http://www.usaink.com/dragonfly/skimmer.html?

Looks like a gimmick, but I'd use it along with my Aquabot if it did work.

CarlD
05-25-2006, 06:49 AM
No more money "wasted" on chemicals???? All the contamination comes from the oily layer on top. Sorry, pure snake oil!

However, mechanically, I see no reason why it won't work...But not any better than any other skimmer.

Several A/G companies use floating skimmers, but of a different style. Splash pools and, I believe, the larger donuts use them.

gumbeaux71
05-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Yes, "the no more chemicals" BS is the part that put me off. I know I still need the 3B's. I wouldn't give that up. I have an IG pool and of course, there is already a skimmer. I just wondered whether having a floating one might help trap extra junk in the pool. Maybe I'll look for one from a more reputable company.

matt4x4
05-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Prevailing winds would push it to the same spot over and over, it wouldn't really be a floating device that covers the whole pool, rather, it would just sit, blown against the wall somewhere and act similar to a wall skimmer, until you get sick of getting tangled up in the hoses, then it would probably just sit in the shed or end up in the garbage. You can make something like this using a tupperware container, a cheap vac hose, some pool floaties and some weight to balance it properly - probably about 10-20 bucks if you buy the high teck stuff, definitely NOT worth 300.00!

gwrace1
05-25-2006, 04:47 PM
If you don't want to use a vacuam or suction side skimmer this one attaches to the return feed. I have one of these installed and they do work.

http://www.thepoolskimmer.com

David

VOLDADDY
05-25-2006, 08:10 PM
gw-I am interested in adding one of those to my 18X36 IG pool. How far does it stick out in the pool? What about the water coming out of the return, does it hamper it? I only have 1 skimmer and it is too small. I wouldn't want it if it interfered with my Aquabot though.

brent.roberts
05-26-2006, 08:22 AM
I can't see that any of these devices offer a significant improvement to a plain ole fixed skimmer.

IMHO these belong in the category of product that is made to do nothing more than line to pockets of the seller.

Save your money. Just one more thing to consume your maintenance time.