PDA

View Full Version : Aquired AGP, now what...

darenjones
03-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Hello all, glad to see the forum/sites are still here. I usually pass this website info onto a lot of people I run into in my line of work (Water treatment/soft water systems) that don't know a thing about pools.
I myself, know enough to be dangerous. I have some experience with IG pools, and a few years ago bought (due to renting a property, and not being able to put in a more permanent pool) an easyset pool from wally world. I had success with the pool, minus an occasional cat that popped the top inflatable ring (which last August brought the pool to the ground[empty])
My neighbor cleaning up the garage found an AGP wall, with attached skimmer basket, and light/return in the wall. He received it when he moved into the house, and never did anything. The wall is in good shape, except for the seam, looks like it got ran over, mangled. I figured I could take the saw and cut a new edge (about 4 inches or so) and patch in the difference if needed.
Beyond that, I know nothing of above ground, other than you need a pump, filter, liner, something to hold up the walls, etc.
Which leads me to my questions *darn, I am long winded, sorry *
I am not sure of the diameter, (it is rolled up, and tied, affraid to undo, cause it is very very heavy) could take pictures if someone can help
it is steel, but I don't know a manufacturer. What do I need to get it built ?
and more importantly, where can I get parts, reasonably priced(unlike PaP, or Rec warehouse)
Any help is appreciated.!!
Looking to swim in Jax...
DJ

matt4x4
03-28-2006, 04:54 PM
I think you have a LOOONG road ahead of you before you can swim.
You would need to know the manufacturer, figure out if the wall was for a round or oval pool, buy all the other structural parts to suit, then deal with the busted wall seam - which may force you to buy a smaller pool size because your wall is now shorter, then make it all fit with your new CUSTOM CUT wall - I really think you should just let your neighbour "keep" the wall so you don't have to deal with it, it'll end up costing you as much as a new pool anyways without as nice an end result.
Just my 2c

CarlD
03-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Being a natural do-it-yourself-er, I would want to take this on, but I am forced to agree with Matt4x4 that you should take a pass on it. Here's why:
1) without directions you may well assemble it incorrectly--that is terribly unsafe.
2) The rumpled wall may be far less serious than you think--a roller press may clean it up. But the point is that the condition of the unit is dubious.
3) You will have to find the correct liner and figure out how to install it as a stone-cold beginner.
4) Here's the biggie, to my mind. Since you do NOT know the dimensions of the pool, you have NO idea what size site you need. An 18x33 oval requires a very different site than a 30' round. If you make the site too big, you've wasted enormous time and money. Make it too small and you have expand it--and it may be in a direction you cannot go. If you knew the size and shape it wouldn't be an issue.

So...unless you are super-adverturous, super-handy, and super-broke, I'd say give it a pass.

darenjones
03-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Well, I have talked to a few pool people here locally, and I am getting some of the same responses, some not. I am being told to open the baby up, and set it at least in the area I am looking for. As I stated before, it is rolled up, and there isn't any corrosion on the wall at all. It has a painted side, that looks like wood (if that helps) and the inside is a lite gray colour.
Anyway, my adversion to opening it up, was putting it back together, don't want it in the way of yard work, animals etc.
But, the neighbor who gave it up said he would help.
I am also being told I could parially bury the pool to help stabalize it since I do not have any of the side rails, and would probably have to build the top rails for it anyway. I plan on building a deck anyway, so this would work. Looking at the damage to the seam, I believe someone put it together before, and didn't do it correctly, it has a few "holes" and tears, where it looks like someone tore it apart to get it apart. I agree, a press brake would do it, however, I don't know anyone around here that would do it. I have a circular saw with a metal blade...
anway, I am looking to open it up this weekend, and see how big it is... how exact are the dimensions on a liner,, what type should I look for, were should I, etc.
as far as the shape, it is rolled up in a circle, and I am told it is a round pool, the ovals don't roll up like this.
Again, thanks for all of the input... will get it down.
PS, I do have experience with AGP, just not building one. Maintained one for a while, without troubles... to me, easier then IG.

CarlD
03-30-2006, 09:49 AM
No side rails? Going to bury it? (do you know what dirt can do to the structure over the years?) Holes all through the metal?
I REALLY now must say I think it's a terrible idea. If you go through with it I won't contribute to the threads, other than to wish you the very best of luck. I believe you will need it.

Please rethink your plan.

matt4x4
03-30-2006, 12:03 PM
I have to agree fully with Carl, I myself will take on just about ANY project, I have built cars from nothing, bought and built my own AG pool, Built many decks, fenced many yards, shingled many roofs and added onto many houses without worry.
BUT, when it comes to this AG pool, having only a wall does not make for a good start, your associated costs for an AG pool are not in the wall, rather in the equipment required to run it, the wall is worth about 1/10th of the whole pool. By the sounds of it you will save another 1/10th or a little more by not putting in the lower track, making your own uprights and top rails, but will have cost incurred for the lumber needed ofsetting those savings.
Burrying an AG pool will rot it prematurely - if it is a 30 yr wall you will get 10 out of it - soil is acidic and will eat the wall quickly.
If you would like to have a guestimate of the pool size without opening it, just take a string and follow the rolled up metal with it and measure the string needed to go from end to end of the metal - that will give you your perimeter, then divide by 3.14 to get the diameter.
If you're only going to put top rails on it and no uprights, one person pushing on the top rail to get out will give you a tsunami across the backyard.
Once you cut your sem cleanly, you will have to crimp it for strength otherwise it will rip right off the bolts - also rustproof your cut end(s) - plain old primer won't do much to protect it, electroplating may be a better idea.
As for round pools being rolled in a circle and oval not - how else are they to roll up a wall - square??? (sorry, but I had to laugh at that one). I've seen oval pools pre assembly, the wall is still rolled up round....it's the bottom track and top rail that then pull the wall semi straight again.
It's a big project to undertake building an AG pool (well, under 20 feet isn't bad if you have all the parts, but bigger pools require a LOT of hard labor), even bigger if you're also manyfacturing your own support structure, if you decide to build this thing, I, like Carl will sign off here and wish you luck!
Peseverence and hard work may get the job done, how long it will stand uprightis anyones guess....
As for liner sizes, if you're cutting off a few inches, the same size liner will work, however, if it's a few feet then you're better off taking it down to the next smaller size available by cutting it to the proper perimeter for that smaller size.
Good luck!

darenjones
04-01-2006, 01:02 AM
okay... okay... easy on me now..
I was only t o l d about burying it, and only a partial. Most of these need an inch or so in the ground anyway I thought ? please help, as I stated before, I am new at this.
as far as the support structure, I am a carpenter/ cabinet maker. I know, this does not qualify me as a pool builder, or any type of expert.
However, I have built some amazing structures, and usually build a lot of stuff without much to work with. I am not too much worried about the 1/10 of cost, I am aware that it is going to be labor intense. Something worth having is not always easy to achieve; if you want it bad enough.
I am just of the philosophy that something is trash just because it isn't all there. This wall looks practically new, I am not even sure it was ever used ; just hated to see it just thrown out.
If it is hopeless, then tell me hopeless, set it to the curb.
But, if it is possible, show me some light, and guide me there with patients.. that is all I ask!

CarlD
04-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Daren:
For me, I would HATE to see you either have a tragic accident, or end up spending more than a new pool would cost you. I've not heard of the wall having dirt against it--maybe the missing bottom rail.

I'm pretty handy too--I spent a couple of years after college as residential carpenter, and, when I did my pool, I did all my own architectural drawings--plans, elevations, details, etc, which were approved by our building dept. I milled most of the cedar I used in the fence and gate, too. (the gate was my own design--I didn't want any diagonals across it.) My point is I am able to empathize with you, but I think you are making a mistake, and I'm afraid for the consequences if I'm right.

darenjones
04-10-2006, 02:01 PM
well, I appreciate all of the input here, and I guess (regretably) I am rolling the wall out to the trash this week. I just hate to do it because of the condition of the wall and parts.
Back to ground zero. What would I be looking at for a decent pool package, 20 foot or so, AG, pump, filter... plumbing I can handle, deck I have wood for...
on a tight enough budget that I do need to keep from wasting money by giving it to a salesman at a big pool showroom...
any advice apreciated as always!

matt4x4
04-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, if you want to avoid giving your money to the showroom guy, may I suggest buying on-line - many here have had great experiences with on line vendors, I can't help with that since I don't know who or which is good.
I think you can probably buy a 20 foot round for 2000-3000, all included, it just depends on the quality of the pool you are buying.