PDA

View Full Version : Dumb newbe question

mackeralsnatcher
07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
First thanks in advance for helping me. (I sure this has been asked before)

The problem is the motor(waterway 2 HP) just humms, never had a problem before.
Stuck impeller?
How do I proceed?
Take it apart and see if something is obstructing it?

Thanks again, beers on me.

aylad
07-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi,

The first thing I would do is take it apart and see if something is hung in the impeller. If so, clear it and see if that's the problem. While it's open, see if the impeller will turn by hand. If not, find out what's stopping it. If so, and I know this sounds stupid, try putting it back together, turning it on, and when it starts humming, whacking it with a 2 x 4, rock, or other hard object to see if that will kick it into gear. There is a capacitor that sometimes goes bad, or can have corroded contacts, that will cause this to happen. If whacking it makes it come on, then we can point you to a thread with instructions for cleaning your contacts.

Welcome to the forum!

BigDave
07-09-2012, 04:37 PM
I can't add much to aylad's advice, I would certainly try to smack it with rock - in the back - maybe dirty contacts.

I can tell you that in my experience beers are better in me than on me.:)

mackeralsnatcher
07-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Hi,

The first thing I would do is take it apart and see if something is hung in the impeller. If so, clear it and see if that's the problem. While it's open, see if the impeller will turn by hand. If not, find out what's stopping it. If so, and I know this sounds stupid, try putting it back together, turning it on, and when it starts humming, whacking it with a 2 x 4, rock, or other hard object to see if that will kick it into gear. There is a capacitor that sometimes goes bad, or can have corroded contacts, that will cause this to happen. If whacking it makes it come on, then we can point you to a thread with instructions for cleaning your contacts.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you, this is what I was thinking.
Already tried smacking the heck out of it and that didn't work.
Next thing (after the rain stops)is taking it apart and going from there.
It sometimes amazes me that just taking something apart and putting it back together fixes the problem.
My wife will say "did you fix "it" and I'll say "yep" and she will say "what did you do?" and I'll say "nothin"

PoolDoc
07-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Been there, done that -- I was a plumber, and then a pool service guy, and have had that experience many, many times.

Just moved your thread where it should have been, so you can post again. Sorry!