PDA

View Full Version : Hot tub warning!

doriec
05-24-2006, 07:41 PM
This weekend we stayed in a reputable (I thought) hotel and family members got into the hot tub. 2 days later, two kids came down with something that looked like chickenpox. The doctor diagnosed it as folliculitus, an illness that is often caused by unsanitary hot tubs. I am enclosing a pic of what it looks like. I will never let my grandkids get into a hotel hot tub again. Of course, the first place kids head when there is a swimming/hot tub facility is to the hot tub. The kids did say the hot tub had "floaties" and was green, but only after they had already been in it. When I called the hotel today to complain, the hostess admitted that hotel guests had complained, but hotel management didn't stop guests from getting into the hot tub. She said they drained it after the weekend. As a result of this experience, I think I will keep the chlorine level a bit higher in my own pool. Doris

CarlD
05-24-2006, 11:36 PM
About 12 years ago, we were on the Celebrity Horizon. None of the hot tub rules were followed--kids were allowed in though signs said CLEARLY nobody under 16 was allowed. Staff didn't enforce them. Then I saw a woman get in with a large sore on her chest above the bra line that looked like a staph infection!

6 months later, the Horizon had a breakout of Legionaire's Disease, and, if I remember correctly, there was a least one fatality--and they traced it to the hot tubs.

I have never been in a public hot tub since. Nor have we cruised on Celebrity either.

KurtV
05-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Ben's treatise on commecial hot tubs: http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/tip25.html.

Plus, that Saturday Night Live skit with Will Ferrel and Rachel Dratch, as the Professors Clarvin, in the hot tub eating lamb shanks, kind of put me off hotel hot tubs.

Poolidiot
05-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Doriec,
I would have done WAY more then just complain to to the front desk, The health dept would have been my 1st call

doriec
05-25-2006, 07:10 PM
The health department will get a call. I called the hotel manager today, and she is talking to her insurance company for medical reimbursement. I still can't believe it. Dorie

VOLDADDY
05-25-2006, 07:59 PM
My attorney would be my second call.

Simmons99
05-25-2006, 08:22 PM
There goes the extra $$ I just spent on a vacation home with a hot tub in the mountains for the vacation in June :(

aylad
05-26-2006, 06:29 PM
There goes the extra $$ I just spent on a vacation home with a hot tub in the mountains for the vacation in June :(
Just take a test kit and a few gallons of bleach along! :D

Janet