PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Filter Question

majaxn
07-06-2012, 10:55 PM
I have a new AG 24' 15,000 gallon pool. The filter is 19" eco-kleer sand system, 1.5 HP Waterway. Every couple days the pressure drops to 10 PSI. Water starts to leak out the clear lid on the pump. After backwashing problem goes away for 1~2 days. Is this normal?

Watermom
07-07-2012, 10:28 AM
No. It is not normal. Is there a gasket under the lid? You might buy some lube from a pool store and put it around the gasket. Do NOT use vaseline. Someone else may come along who has other info that might help you.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

Poconos
07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Something doesn't make sense here. What is the pressure when things are normal? The plumbing should be skimmer to pump, pump to filter, filter to pool. That clear lid is on the suction side of the pump and being fed from the skimmer. If the filter were plugging up then the pressure would increase. If the pressure drops then you are probably sucking air and Watermom is on the right track about a leaking lid gasket. If you are sucking air you should be seeing bubbles out the return. That lube Watermom is referring to is silicone grease. Home Depot has it in the plumbing department in the faucet repair section. Comes in little grey tubs about one inch in diameter. They have two types, get either one. The fact that backwashing cures the problem for a couple days is puzzling unless it's causing that lid to seat better for some reason.
Al

aylad
07-07-2012, 12:09 PM
The fact that backwashing cures the problem for a couple days is puzzling unless it's causing that lid to seat better for some reason.
Al

Is it maybe that backwashing relieves the pressure from the plugged up filter, so it relieves the pressure in the pump pot?

Janet

waste
07-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Welcome to The Forum!

I think we may have some confusion about whether it's the lid on the filter or the pump that is leaking. Also, pressure dropping doesn't usually cause a leak as long as the gauge is on the filter lid

Any chance of a pic or 2 of the equipment pad and the filter and it's gauge?

majaxn
07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the input. I have found the problem. The lid o-ring gasket was cut in two.

Watermom
07-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Ah-ha! Mystery solved!