PDA

View Full Version : Solar mat

trinitysite
07-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Well, few years back, my wife's ex-boyfriend insisted to install PVC type for solar panel my wife bought... sometimes down the road, she dumped him and then she and I became items few months later and got married.

Question we have about the solar panel is that I could see the benefits of them considering my background from growing up with an indoor pool with solar panel keeping the water warm.

Only difference is the pool is outdoor and I'm much further northern latitude than Texas where it is cold and the likes.

So, would it make sense to make a "portable" solar panel so i can store them during deep winter?

Also, is there any good reading book materials on swimming pool? The only one I came across which I liked but a bit too technical is "The Ultimate Guide to Pool Maintenance" 3rd edition. Unfortunately, I had to return it since it was through InterLibrary loan thru my university library.

Watermom
07-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Many people do use solar panels and they do add a lot of heat. One of the other moderators lives in NE Pennsylvania and he uses panels. I've been in his pool when it was too hot -- 90 degrees -- as a result of those panels. So, yes, I think they could help you. I don't live in a place that has such cold winters as he does, but I still store my solar panels inside our shed to protect them. The best thing to do is to use the panels and also a solar blanket on the pool at night to keep you from losing heat overnight. Those two things together will make quite a temperature difference for most pools.

As far as good reading material ----- read a lot of posts here on the forum and also on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com and I think you'll get all the information you need to help make taking care of your pool as easy as possible.
Welcome to the Pool Forum!

BigDave
07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
...too hot -- 90 degrees -- ...Not!

My pool's been 94 for the last 4 days (the solarcontroller's set for 95) and I LOVE IT!. Solar panels and blanket work great for me!

Watermom
07-07-2012, 04:00 PM
That's hotter than I like for swimming in the daytime. When it gets too warm, I don't think it is refreshing. But, for night time swims, a little warmer is fine. (Currently my pool temp is around 90-92 I think --- too warm ----but we have also had a week of 100 degree temps. it is currently 101 as I type this.)

PoolDoc
07-07-2012, 04:20 PM
My pool's been 94 for the last 4 days (

You're kidding!! ????

Also, is there any good reading book materials on swimming pool? The only one I came across which I liked but a bit too technical is "The Ultimate Guide to Pool Maintenance" 3rd edition.

Unfortunately, no. I have that particular book, and it has MANY serious errors. (So do all the others I have!)