PDA

View Full Version : Step bowed in vinyl liner pool

Ken_J
07-05-2012, 06:53 PM
My wife just pointed out that the bottom step in the corner of our in-ground, vinyl liner pool is bowed in the center. These are curved steps. I'm pretty certain they are fiberglass steps under the vinyl. We had them installed 7 years ago when we replaced the liner.

I have the number for the installer but not sure if the steps have a warranty.

Any suggestions before I call the guy?

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr167/phillycaster/photo-3.jpg

CarlD
07-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Could the sand under the steps have shifted? That would be my guess of the most likely cause.

waste
07-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Hi Ken :)

I think the steps are 'reto-ed' and are made of steel (I've installed quite a few like yours). [you can try a magnet on the steps to see if I'm correct] If they installed A/G 'wedding cake' steps, they are morons (I would have put it differently, but this is a family friendly site)

I agree with Carl that the base is missing where the step has bowed.

Ken_J
07-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Unfortunately the magnet was not attracted - my wife recalls them being some polymer. Sent the email to the installer last night and not looking forward to his response!

Ken_J
07-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Just wanted to provide an update. A couple weeks ago the the company that installed the steps and line back in 2005 sent out an installer to take a look. He was dumbfounded and basically said that they have been using these steps in pools for over 15 years without incident. He took pictures and left. A couple days later we got a call from the owner saying that he, too, had never seen anything like and that he and a representative from the manufacturerwould be out to see it. Well they came out last week and the manufacturer has agreed to provide new steps and a new liner at no cost. I just have to pay the labor to install them.....works out to $250 per year that we've had the current steps/liner. They are going to do the work after 8/12 so I'll report back then.

waste
07-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the update, Ken!

Any chance of snapping a pic of the steps without the liner on them?

I hope the step and liner replacement go quickly so you can enjoy the pool as much as possible before summer ends.

BTW- did the pool dude say anything about start up chems and who's paying for the water?