PDA

View Full Version : So confusing about chemistry!!!!

reboot530
07-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Hello,

Ok HELP!!!!! I have my pool up for a week now and can't really afford the test kit you memtioned but I was able to get teh HTH 6 test kits from Walmart. HELP!!!!!

What clorine should I buy? I have an intex 18 x 48 pool where the sides go up when you fill it up.
All the numbers seem to confuse me!!!!!

Please help Aaron Ogitis

CarlD
07-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Buy regular unscented bleach and use that for your chlorine. If it is an 18x18x4 square pool, then 1 gallon of bleach should put your free chlorine level at 6 ppm. (9700 gal)
If it is an 18' round then 3/4 gallon should put your chlorine level at 7--a reasonable start, assuming your water hasn't gone green yet.

You'll need to review all our info on the B-B-B system of pool care (Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda).

I will tell you this: while the 6-way drop kit is pretty good, the Taylor K-2006 is far better and will save you thousands over the years. For the $50-$70 it costs, it will pay for itself in no time.

Watermom
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Since it is a fresh fill, you may want to use dichlor which will add chlorine and needed stabilizer (CYA) at the same time. Take a look at the following thread about starting a new intex pool.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17055-Super-simple-pool-chemistry-recipe-for-Intex-type-pools-start-up-amp-routine-care.

What is the source of your fill water? A well or a municipal water supply?