PDA

View Full Version : How long to run pump

tnalaskan
07-05-2012, 02:22 PM
I have looked in the posts but have not seen this answered. How long should the pump be run each day? We have a 2 speed pump that we run 24/7. Is it necessary to run 24/7?

mroll
07-05-2012, 08:01 PM
I'd love answer to this too. My pool is much smaller than yours (5700 Gallons) and I have a Haywood 3/4 HP Power Flo matrix Pump on a DE Filter. Dealer told me about 3 hours and thats what I've been doing and pool looks great. Electrician is Going to put it on a timer cause I often forget to turn it off after 3 hours!! Electricity is WAY TOO high here for me to run it more than 5,6 hours per day!

Shifty
07-06-2012, 09:04 AM
I believe you run your pump/filter long enough to filter all your water once. The amount of time will vary depending on the volume of your pool. I have a 24,000 gallon IG pool so it usually takes me around 8 hours to filter the entire pool. I alter when my pump/filter is on. On days where I don't need to add bleach in the evening, I let it run while I am at work. On days when I know I'll bleach in the evening, I don't run the pump/filter during the day. I'll wait until I get home from work then run the filter/pump until morning.

mas985
07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I have looked in the posts but have not seen this answered. How long should the pump be run each day? We have a 2 speed pump that we run 24/7. Is it necessary to run 24/7?
No, it usually is not necessary. As long as you chlorinate the pool properly, the amount of run time is entirely up to you. It really comes down to how debris free you want your pool and how much money (energy) you are willing to spend to clean it.

CarlD
07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
I run my 19/20k pool on low speed 12hrs a day, mainly to keep the skimming and solar panels working to their full effect. I almost never use high speed other than backwashing, and it stays crystal clear.

Carl