PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me what to do

Bowlin
05-24-2006, 10:51 AM
I opened my pool I dont have any readings yet but when I opened it was freen so I went to homedepot and bought, 2 big bottles of there shock threw it in and two pucks and got them going and then low and behold put some algecide in that has copper in it, pool for the most part cleared up still cant see the bottom in the deep end I am assuming 29000 gallons of water or somewhere close to that.
My questions are simple, can I swich over now to BBB or is there something I am gonna need to do?
I have order the new test kit and I guess will get it in a few weeks as I just purchased on 5/24.
Did I mess up putting the copper in?

KurtV
05-24-2006, 12:24 PM
I opened my pool I dont have any readings yet but when I opened it was freen so I went to homedepot and bought, 2 big bottles of there shock threw it in and two pucks and got them going and then low and behold put some algecide in that has copper in it, pool for the most part cleared up still cant see the bottom in the deep end I am assuming 29000 gallons of water or somewhere close to that.
My questions are simple, can I swich over now to BBB or is there something I am gonna need to do?
Good on you for ordering a good test kit (I'm assuming you ordered Bens PS234).

In the meantime, take your water sample to a pool store to have it tested (most do it for free). Nobody here can help much unless we know the condition of your water. Specifically, we need to know free chlorine (FC), combined chlorine (CC), total alkalinity (TA), calcium hardness (CH), and cyanuric acid (CYA aka stabiliser).

You also need a pretty good idea of the volume of your pool. If you post the dimensions, someone will talk you through calculating the volume.

We also need to know what kind of pool you have (concrete/plaster, vinyl, fiberglass).

Was the "shock" you put in liquid or granular? If liquid, what percentage of sodium hypochlorite did it contain? If granular, what was it? How much did you put in (in pounds if granular, gallons if liquid)?

You'll be able to switch over to bleach, but without that information we'd all just be guessing.

Did I mess up putting the copper in?
Maybe, but it's probably not a huge deal. Worst case is probably some pool staining and green hair. If that happens, start a new post here and someone will help you deal with it.

Best of luck.

Bowlin
05-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Added a little borax to the pool about half a box and the pool is a foaming. Is this right or is my pool water being bad?

KurtV
05-24-2006, 09:35 PM
bowlin, You'll need to post a set of test results to get meaningful help.

kv

Watermom
05-24-2006, 09:44 PM
The pool is more likely foaming from the algaecide, not the Borax.