PDA

View Full Version : help with ph and chlorine issue

dpeterson9
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi, I submitted my pool chart info. I have an intex 15' x 48" round pool. Metal frame. This is our second summer and basically trouble free. I add 4 - 6 cups of bleach per night and have good clear water. However, my ph has gone up from 7.8 from day one to 8.2 the last two days. Should I be concerned? Also, have never used anything other than bleach, skimmer pole and aqua broom to clean and it seems to be working. Should I add di-chlor? Or is that just if I don't want to add so much bleach every day? I don't want to fix what isn't broken, but do I need to worry about the ph going up? I have borax and baking soda on hand, just have never needed it. I do spend some time each day testing, cleaning and adding bleach each night. thanks for any input!
Deb

Watermom
07-02-2012, 12:21 PM
What kind of test kit do you have? We think that everyone needs a good test kit. The one we recommend is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C which you can get through the test kit link in my signature below. Try and order it early in the morning while the seller listed is Amato Industries. Sometimes they sell out during the day, but usually restock overnight. Some other sellers don't sell it for as good of a price.

Since the kit is only sold online, you need something to use until you get it. Get a cheap OTO (yellow drops) / phenol test kit, or if available at YOUR Walmart (check availability (http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668)), get the HTH 6-way DROPS test kit, which is compatible with the Taylor K2006. Test the pool as soon and you can, and post the results. If you get the 6-way kit, ALSO test the water you FILL the pool with, especially if it's a well, and post THOSE results as well. (The HTH is the best available kit you're likely to find locally, but it's not the K-2006. It can only provide rough measurements chlorine levels above 5 ppm, and it measures "TOTAL" hardness, rather than "CALCIUM" hardness, which is not ideal.)

Give us some current water testing numbers taken with a drops-based kit and someone here will better be able to advise you.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

aylad
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
If you're using drop-based testing for your pH, then I would go ahead and lower it back to the mid-7's range with either muriatic acid or dry acid (but read the muriatic acid link in my sig first--handling it safely is crucial!). If you're using strips, then please follow Watermom's recommendation to get a good drop-based kit.

If you have your returns pointed upwards so that they ripple the water, that could cause aeration in the pool, and would cause pH to rise. A good hard rain will also aerate the water and cause the rise (as will splashing kids :) )

What is your TA? If it's not high enough, then you might have a hard time keeping your pH stable. TA should be in the 70-90 range if you're using bleach as your chlorination method.

Janet

dpeterson9
07-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I have the walmart hth 6 way kit. Ph again 8.2 this am, chlorine .5 - 1 so added 2 more cups this am. TA yesterday was 140. TH was 150 when I checked last.

My return does point up so that could raise the PH, also had 1 1/2 inches of rain in pool last night, and had kids (8) in the pool Sunday...so maybe ph raise is not a big concern.

I have not ever added di-chlor or stabilizer, just the bleach each evening and let the pump/filter run from 9 pm to either 9 am, or all day if no one swims that day. I am adding 4 - 6 cups of bleach each night, and just noticed the last 3 days that ph was 8.2, and it had been 7.8 since I opened the pool in early june. Usually it is just my husband and myself that use the pool, except on weekends when we have friends and kids and grandkids over!
Do you think I should add di-chlor, or stabilizer? Or is just adding bleach each night okay as long as my chlorine and ph levels are good?

Thanks for your help, I have actually been a member for quite awhile, read alot, have never posted before yesterday!

PoolDoc
07-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Need to lower the pH some more. Aim for 7.4 or so, before you stop adding acid. It will tend to drift up, given your current TA, so it's better to go a bit low.

BigDave
07-04-2012, 09:26 AM
...I have not ever added di-chlor or stabilizer...You'll probably find that you use less chlorine and maintain more stable FC level if you get some stabilizer in your pool.

I think dichlor would be a good choice for you as it will also lower your pH while it chlorinates and adds stabilizer. A quarter pound (4oz) will add almost as much FC to your pool as 4 Cups of bleach; that would be a good dose size.

Each pound of dichlor should add about 12ppm CYA to your pool. No need to test for CYA until you've added about three pounds.

Please review Ben's Best Guess Chart (http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess-swimming-pool-chlorine-chart.html); it provides Free Chlorine target ranges for varrying CYA ranges. Never let the FC fall below the minimum for your CYA.

If you've used less than a pound of dichlor then you should be in the first target band(0-10). When you've used about a pound of dichlor, start targeting the second band(10-20) and when you're into your third pound, move to the third band(30-50).

Switch back to chlorinating with bleach once you've reached your CYA target.

Be sure to keep an eye on pH as dichlor will cause it to fall (add Borax when it gets to 7.0).

Note: Dichlor is widely being sold with other chemicals mixed in. Be careful to avoid buying dichlor that is not 99% sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione. We know that unadulterated dichlor is available at Sams Club in a 24lb pack of 1# bags of 100% dichlor shock, from Amazon: Kem-Tek Dichlor 22 lbs (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0030BEHZA/poolbooks), and I've purchased 99% dichlor at my local Leslies in 1lb packs of Chlor-Brite. If you do go to a pool store, don't let them talk you into anything else (except maybe floaty toys).

Be aware, we have seen chlorinating pool chemicals sold at Walmart, Kmart, Costco, and many other local stores that are diluted blends, sometimes with copper and other products with bad side-effects.

dpeterson9
07-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks so much for the specific info. I'm off to order di-chlor!

dpeterson9
07-15-2012, 10:06 PM
It works, ph down, chlorine level good and not burning off in the sun. Thanks so much for the info!

BigDave
07-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Great!
Now treat yourself to a k-2006 and enjoy your pool!