PDA

View Full Version : First test results with the PS234

metalman
05-24-2006, 10:00 AM
First time posting. Here are the results from the PS234 kit

FC:10.5
CC:0
TC:5 (was slightly darker than the highest reading of 5)
PH:7.4
TA:220
CA:260
CYA:38
Temp:68

I have a 20 x 40 vinyl 30,000 gal IG Pool with an automatic cover, a 1 HP
pump.

I did add some Bioguard Stingy Sticks about 3 weeks ago on the lowest setting ion my Pentair chlorinator but have not added any extra since. I have
been using 6% bleach from Walmart adding about 1 gallon every other day. Last night I added 3 ounces of polyquat algacide wich I have been adding every 6 days. The water is crystal clear but is the TA too high or should I
not worry about it?

duraleigh
05-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes, you would do well to reduce your T/A somewhere in the 80 -120 range....read "lowering alkalinity" on this forum.

You would also do well to stop using pucks and use liquid chlorine or bleach to sanitize your pool. I don't know what "stingy sticks" are but, with a name like that, they can't be good:D ....stick with Cl....it's all you need.

waterbear
05-24-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't know what "stingy sticks" are but, with a name like that, they can't be good:D ....stick with Cl....it's all you need.
They are Bioguards slow dissovling chlorine sticks for their 'once a week' program. Hard to find info on bioguard but I bet they are just trichlor.

metalman
05-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Two days ago my TA was at 220. Last night I added 1 gallon of muriatic acid.
I tested this morning and my TA was at 190 and my PH went from 7.4 down to 7.2. I added 1/2 gallon today. I read step by step guide to lower alkalinity and am being cautious to not get below a PH of 7.0. My one problem is I don't have any spa jet or fountain to aerate the pool. I do have a Paramount cleaning system that has 4 floor jets and six eyeball jets that circulates the water.
Will this help or do I need to actually produce bubbles? I have a wet/dry vac with a blower option, if I stick the hose in the pool and blow air in it, would that help?

duraleigh
05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Metal,

You need bubbles. You seem to have a good grasp of the process. I would recommend you modify one or two of your returns (into the pool) and make a temporary fountain out of some 1/2 pvc and 45's or 90's. Your eyeballs on the return should screw right off and you can screw in a standard reducer and get your new "fountain" up and running in no time. Poor mans' "water feature" but it'll lower your alk and you can take it right back off if you are threatened by your significant other. :)

The vac might work a little but I wouldn't want to listen to it for a couple of days.

metalman
05-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, off to the hardware store I go. One more question on
the high Alk. I just started using the PS234 this year and have not measured my alk in the past. I was wondering what causes the high alk? I have an automatic cover that obviously was closed all winter and I was closing everynight last summer, could this be a reason fo the high alk or is there anything else that may
have caused it?

mbar
05-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Check your fill water, it may be high in alkalinity.