PDA

View Full Version : Old PS233 test kit -- what reagents/chemicals do I need to replace?

oscarlet
07-01-2012, 04:17 PM
We've had an index-type round vinyl frame pool for a good number of years. The current one I believe is 20 x 48. When I was first learning to look after a pool I used the kit religiously to check everything. Over time I have relied a lot more on smell (it doesn't smell right when it is unhealthy), looks and a little walmart two cell pH and FC/CC tester kit and how it responds to what I'm putting in. This summer my husband took over the pool, mainly because he didn't like the way I was clearing up the winter yucks. We now have a nice case of mustard algae and not enough CYA and I don't know how much he put in (he put in some but not enough). Sooo I dragged the kit out, bought a ton of bleach and started scrubbing.

So to my question.
What do I need to replace in this (brilliant btw) kit? What ages and what is still ok? Can I buy the various indicators and reagents separately? Can I buy any of it locally?

PoolDoc
07-01-2012, 05:08 PM
The DPD powder definitely needs replacing; the FAS solution probably does. Everything else should be OK, unless it's been stored in an oven . . . and maybe even then.

If you just get the powder and FAS, then simply buying the complete K-1515 is probably the best bet: Taylor K-1515 FAS-DPD (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN//B003V4YZEO/poolbooks), since it contains both of those.

If you need more reagents, it's probably better to go directly to Amato (www.amatoind.com/) and poke around till you find what you need. Their website is very confusing to me, so you might have to look for awhile. Janet (Aylad) uses some other source, but I can't remember. She may post it, however.

aylad
07-01-2012, 05:31 PM
I use spspools-spas.com for my reagents. The folks there are not just great on the phone if you don't know what you want, but if you know what reagents you need, their website is very easy to navigate, and they have the best prices I've been able to find. I've been ordering from them for 3+ years and have never had any problem. I usually get my order within 3-4 days.

oscarlet
07-01-2012, 06:20 PM
thank you :)

waldreps
07-04-2012, 02:14 AM
What's the proper Phenol Red solution to get for testing pH? I also have a PS233 kit and need some new reagents. My Phenol Red in my kit says R-0014 but on spspools-spas.com they only list R-0004A. Is that an acceptable substitute? What's the difference? Also the same question for the OTO reagent that is listed as R-0600 in my PS233 kit. What is the proper substitute for that since I don't find that on their website either?

Thanks,
Stacy

aylad
07-04-2012, 11:47 AM
The R-0014 R-0004 are different reagents, and will not work interchangeably. The OTO kit in the PS 233 is just a basic OTO kit and can be bought by itself at WalMart with the proper reagents already included. It will be cheaper to get it that way than to pay shipping for the OTO reagents. Our Leslie's also sells the R-0014, if that's the only one you need.

Janet

waldreps
07-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks, Janet. I just have my order ready from spspools-spas.com with my other stuff and the phenol red R-0014 is the only thing else I need that they don't list. I found it on Amazon but don't want to pay shipping for just that. I also would prefer to not to buy a whole kit just for the one reagent. Since you order your stuff from this same place, what do you get when you need phenol red?

Thanks,
Stacy

aylad
07-04-2012, 07:23 PM
I get a new OTO kit from WalMart for $3.99.

Janet

waldreps
07-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Oh, geez.....I didn't know they were that cheap. I guess that's the best thing to do then. Thanks.

PoolDoc
07-04-2012, 08:07 PM
The 3.99 kit from Walmart is NOT the same as the OTO kit in the PS233; it IS the same kit that is in the HTH 6-way drops kit, which is available at some Walmarts.

The main difference is that the phenol red reagent in the K1000 / PS233 / PS200 / HTH 6-way is pH protected, and also gives somewhat more intense colors. If you use non-Taylor phenol red you will lose some accuracy at all levels, and quite a bit, if the chlorine is high.

waldreps
07-05-2012, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the info, Ben. Maybe I'll get my refills from Amazon. I found the R-0014 phenol red on there.