PDA

View Full Version : Bird Repellent?

errodr27
05-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Hello,

I live in North Alabama, and it seems that a bunch of birds have decided to use my IG pool as a toilet. There are many deposits on and around the coping. I am not sure what kind of birds they are, but it really makes a mess.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the birds not want to come around the pool?

Thanks...

aylad
05-24-2006, 01:28 PM
If you come up with an answer to that one, I'll be glad to hear it--we've tried mothballs, rubber snakes, poisons of sorts, and destruction of the nests, and still they insist--ours are swallows that build under the eaves. I finally gave up and looked at the bright side--we have no mosquitoes, in the West Nile capital of the world!

Janet

let_her_flicker
05-24-2006, 08:20 PM
I have a bunch of birds taking dumps on the top rail. Has anyone tried decoy owls or anything else to keep them off their pool.

larry2338
05-24-2006, 08:35 PM
12 guage is quite effective

waterbear
05-24-2006, 10:27 PM
How about getting a cat or two or three. They make very effective bird deterrants! (and mine love sunning himself on the coping of the pool)

roxy
05-29-2006, 10:15 AM
I too had a bird problem, my solar cover was covered with droppings after only two days. I tried rubber snakes and owls with no luck, I finally tied a piece of monofilament fishing line between two trees, about 15 feet over my pool....and the birds have moved over to my neighbors!!!! This has been the most effective deterrent yet and it is great because you can barely see it.

cajunfla
05-29-2006, 12:54 PM
monofilament? what does that do to the birds? do they fly into it?

roxy
05-29-2006, 09:04 PM
The birds don't fly in to it, I read on another site that they see multiple lines....my guess is that they are afraid to fly into it...so they avoid it altogether. The results have been fantastic, and way to simple....let me know if this works for anyone else. I also read that if one line didn't cut the mustard, try running another perpendicular to the first. Good Luck!

hzz
05-29-2006, 09:42 PM
The birds don't fly in to it, I read on another site that they see multiple lines....my guess is that they are afraid to fly into it...so they avoid it altogether. The results have been fantastic, and way to simple....let me know if this works for anyone else. I also read that if one line didn't cut the mustard, try running another perpendicular to the first. Good Luck!

Exactly right....they won't fly in to it, for whatever reason.As you said, if one line doesn't work use more and criss-cross them.

smokeygrl
05-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Poconos told me about this last summer. I tied 3 lines of fishing line between two trees and the house criss crossing them - no more birds - it worked immediately. It's fun when the neighbors ask what the heck they are. I make them guess...:p

PhantomAndy
05-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Wow - really interesting method to keep the birds away for AG pools.

I'll have to remember this one for other problem areas. Of course I'm spending a lot of effort and $$ on attracting them to my yard. I have the AG coping issue with an IG however.

Just put up a bat house as well - another effective way to cut down on the mosquito population.