PDA

View Full Version : Hello and intro

Paladin
07-01-2012, 01:00 PM
I've been lurking around here for a couple of years and I figured I'd create an id. We are up in South East Michigan, so we don't have the pool season like our southern neighbors, but I installed a heat pump to make the best of the time we do get. Our pool is about 30 years old and we bought the house 8 years ago. Initially we fell into the pool store money hole. Every year toward the end of the season we would lose control and end up with green algae, yellow algae, and pink slime. We bought all the special treatments and nothing would work, so I turned to the Internet to do some research. So yes, we used test strips and stabilized chlorine. Unsurprisingly the CYA would build up over the season to the point where the chlorine was unable to sanitize the water. Up here, we have to drain and refill every year, so the CYA problem would reset. Last year was my first year 100% on the BBB method, and we had crystal clear water all season.

Our pool is a 25,000 gallon in-ground kedney shaped gunite. I installed a new Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, and a Heat Siphon heat pump about 4 years ago. The heat pump works brilliantly and has the water 85 degrees in 2 days after refilling(that's the temp the wife "requires"). Before installing the heater, the water would stay about 65 degrees for at least a month.

The cartridge filter replaced the old original sand filter with an undersized pump, but I decidede to get a Dolphine independent robotic vacuum so I wouldn't just put more dirt on the cartridge. It works really well to suppliment the main filter and the machine washable vacuum bag is easier to clean than the cartridge.

aylad
07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forum!! Glad that our methods have been helpful to you and that you have posted the feedback. We look forward to seeing you around the forum this season.

Happy swimming :cool:

PoolDoc
07-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Sorry your post & membership got lost in the crush, but your membership has been upgraded. thanks for the feedback! -ben