PDA

View Full Version : Tap Water Test Results

rferrel1
05-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Okay - here are the test results for my tap water (using Ben's new kit)
FC - 4.5
CC - 0
TC - 2 (using the BLUE ph/chlorine kit - shouldn't this be 4.5 or the FC 2?)
pH - 7.2
Alk - 100
Cal - 70
CYA - 0
Temp - 65deg F

I ran the FC, CC and TC tests twice and got the same results - am I doing something wrong - I read the instructions VERY carefully both times - however I was reading the yellow for the TC under interior lights because it was dark by the time I got home.

The missing parts for my pool are supposed to arrive this am and the guy(s) are supposed to come finish putting it up this evening. I'm ASSuming that since the "free" stuff they give includes CYA and chlorine pucks, my CYA should get taken care of - should I be concerned that they'll start it off too high - what do I need to know when I get home this evening as to what REALLY needs to be put in my new pool to start it off right.

thanks in advance, Rob

duraleigh
05-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Hi, Rob,

I can't resolve your differing Cl values.....If it's municipal water, I'd believe the 2ppm. Your thinking (FC + CC = TC) is absolutely correct. After all that, you've got great water to fill your pool.

Don't be surprised if they give you no CYA. (but probably some goop you don't need...I'd ask them for a credit rather than put in anything I wasn't sure about).

Pucks will be okay for now but they won't raise your CYA quickly enough to protect your Cl. I'd plan on buying at least enough CYA to get to 20ppm and then let the pucks do the rest.

Please give yourself a Gold Star for having the foresight to test your water before it went into your pool :D ....You're off to a great start!!

rferrel1
05-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Okay - no pool still - promise is to be there to finish at 12 noon on Saturday. I went through the stuff in the boxes and there is 4# of CYA - how much of that will get me to the correct CYA level.

Also, they've included 2 packages of Shock - We'd like to be swimming on Sunday - Monday at least - it is a holiday weekend. Do we have to start off with shock if we can get the stabilizer and appropriate chlorine level in? I certainly don't want to risk starting off with an algae problem but with the 2ppm in the municipal water and the 4# of CYA what do we need to start off with. I'm not sure I necessarily trust the pool guys to do what's right for a BBB system. Thanks for any guidance.

duraleigh
05-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Download mwsmith2's "bleachcalc" for your CYA (and many other) computations. Put it into the skimmer and run your filter 24/7...it'll take a few days to dissolve.

Shock is a process, not a product. Tell us what's listed on the "shock" label before you drop it in...it may not be Cl. Buy some bleach and put it in the first evening your pool is full. Enough to bring it up to about 12ppm will be fine. It'll disappear quickly the next morning and your fine to swim.

I'd keep putting bleach in there each evening after that up to about 4ppm. You'll still lose it quickly until your CYA starts to take effect but it will sanitize your pool. Enjoy your holiday.

You'll still be able to use that "shock" later but tell us what's in it first.

rferrel1
05-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Okay - pool is full - they did not complete the hard plumbing but hooked up some corrugated tubing (holiday weekend and you know - I really do hope the pool guy gets to spend some time at home!) - we're having a few problems with leaks at a couple of the fittings so we're a little hesitant to run the skimmer all night.

Pool is 15 x 30 and says 12,750 gal

This is what they gave me:
2 bags shock - Protech 1# calcium hypochlorite 73% available chlorine
73% says it treats 15,000 gal - ready to swim in 15 minutes (??)
1 bucket CYA - Protech 4# active ingredients 98.5%
1 bucket chlorine tabs - Protech 3"trichloro-s-triazinerione 99%
available chlorine 90%
1 bucket Protech pH Plus - 5# sodium carbonate 100%
6 gal - 6% bleach (my purchase)

I used one of the packages of shock when the pool was about 1/2 full - it was 95degrees today -

Test this afternoon when full with the blue box/Ben's kit -
chlorine 0.5, pH 7.2

I'm GUESSING - I need to put approx 2.5# of the CYA in the skimmer - if we turn it off over night will it hurt for it to sit there - do I need to put it in a sock?

Add the other shock OR how much bleach should I put in. Thanks for your help. Rob

duraleigh
05-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Rob,

Download mwsmith2's "bleachcalc" for your CYA (and many other) computations. Put it into the skimmer and run your filter 24/7...it'll take a few days to dissolve.

rferrel1
05-29-2006, 11:32 AM
sorry - I was not ignoring the advice - just had a little difficulty locating mwsmith2's bleachcalc - found it - downloaded - thanks, think I'm good to go for now!