PDA

View Full Version : New Member with information overload

Newman
06-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Last year I acquired an 24' Intex above ground pool with factory pump, paper filter and SWCG. Every thing worked great for the first 2 months then the filter started plugging twice a day with a white chalk like substance (by the way this was during a 56 day straight of over 100 degrees). The SWCG also had to be cleaned twice a week because of a white build up. The only local pool guy (hates salt by the way) only wanted to sell me every chemical in the book and was nothing but confusing to talk to. I drained, cleaned and dismantled the pool for the winter. I'm ready to give it another shot but am worried about how to start. Some basic info is, it is extremely hard, well water and current outside temperatures are above 100. I have learned a lot from this site but now have info overload! Thanks for any help!!

aylad
06-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi, Newman,

The while buildup is almost certainly calcium precipitating out of your water--and if it's depositing on your filter to be washed away, that's a good thing!! You did well by not buying out the pool store's chemical supply. It will probably help if you will log out to the main forum page, go to the second sub-forum called "Pool chemistry for Intex-type pools" and open that up. Then read the second sticky, called "super simple pool recipe.....intex pools". That probably will answer many of your questions. Once you finish reading that, then go to the second subforum again, to the 6th sub forum listed there, called "Alkalinity and Calcium". Open that up, and read the first sticky called ""Lime softening.....". Those will go a long way toward answering the rest of your questions. And should you have any more, please feel free to post them here and we'll try to help!!

PoolDoc
07-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Sorry your post & membership got lost in the crush; not sure if you still need help, but your membership has been upgraded. -ben

Newman
07-13-2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the upgrade and info. The more I read in this forum the more I learn. Thanks again!

PoolDoc
07-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Hope what you're learning is helping out!