PDA

View Full Version : Hayward Sand Filter for Intex Easy Set Pool

Rubber Duck
06-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Greetings Ya'll! Hope everyone is having a great and safe summer so far. this is my second posting.
We recently had to take down our above ground pool (18 foot) to make room for our new house. We priced new pools and are not in our budget for this year.

So in a pinch we bought a 16 foot 42 inch deep Intex Easy Set pool. It was on sale for $179 so how can we go wrong?! A friend of ours came with a backhoe and leveled out an area for us and even brought us a load of sand. took hubby and I three days of raking the sand out to get it level. But we did and got the pool up. Loving it so far!
Except that the cartridge filter system that comes with it we noticed does not filter nearly as good as what our old sand filter did. So this is my question:

Since we still have the old Hayward sand filter and pump which works. The sand filter did have a few spindles in it broken, so it use to spit sand back into the pool. Can we use this on the Easy Set pool? Or would it be too powerful? The pressure guage on the sand filter is broken, and except for that and the spindles, it otherwise works. Can we plug the pump into the outside extension cord? Since the cord on the pump will not reach the outlet on the back of the house.

aylad
06-29-2012, 03:19 PM
If you replace the broken fingers in the sand filter, there's no reason why you can't use it on this pool. Don't know about the logistics of safely connecting the pump, but Ben or one of the others will be able to advise you about that.

Rubber Duck
06-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks Janet! That is good to know! I hate to throw out a good pump. We ended up keeping it as we know eventually we will get another above ground pool and its good to keep it on hand just for parts. Hopefully the others will chime in!
So happy we have at least some type of pool for the summer. I cannot live without my pool!!

aylad
06-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Lol yeah, it's hard to do without one after you get used to having one in the yard !!

What HP pump did you have on the other pool, and what size is your sand filter?

Rubber Duck
06-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Pump:
Power-Flo LX pump
Volts 115
HP 1.5
RPM 3450
Amps 15.0

Sand filter:
Vari-Flo XL Valve
Model # SP714 TX

On side of filter there is a large sticker that says Pool Season and under that
SM1700T
SM1900T

If you need more info let me know. Thanks for the help!

PoolDoc
06-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Volts 115
HP 1.5
Amps 15.0

The ratings on AG (above-ground) pumps is pretty strange. If that pump ACTUALLY runs at 15 amps . . . trying to hook it to a receptacle is pretty dicey. However, my guess is, it does not normally run at that level. If you have to go less than 50' and have a 15A outdoor receptacle, I'd try it with a 12/3 outdoor extension cord. Do NOT use a 100' cord! Do use a GFCI, if your outdoor receptacle is NOT a GFCI. Here's what I mean, from Amazon:

US Wire 74050 12/3 50-Foot SJTW cord (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0020YHX0E/poolbooks) @ Amazon
Coleman Cable 02841 In-Line Tri-Source 12/3 SJEOW GFCI (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SQGV/poolbooks) @ Amazon

Contrary to what some sources say, GFCI's can fail in a hazardous condition. That is, instead of failing with power-off, they can fail power-on. So, use your unit's test button regularly!!!

Rubber Duck
06-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for that help Pool Doc. Our outside receptacle I do believe is GFCI since its a brand new house. The outdoor extension cord, however I think is 100 ft. I guess Im a little nervous plugging it in. My luck something will blow up.
I did find a manual online for the Hayward pool pump. I did get those figures directly off the pump itself. And when it was on the AG pool we had before, there was a seperate electricial line and breaker in the box just for the pool pump. the contractor of course had to dig the line up as it was in the way for the new foundation, but left the breaker in the box in case we decided to have another pool put in. We of course would have a whole new line put in. But the manuel in it said that the pump should NOT be used with storable pools. And considering the Easy Set pool is a storable pool, I think I will play it safe rather than sorry and not use the pump. We'll just stick with the filter cartridge system that came with the pool. However I did see Intex puts out a smaller sand filter for the Intex pools. I may look into that. Even though I dont feel like spending any more money. :p

PoolDoc
06-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Probably a good idea. Pushing electrical circuits to their limit is usually not such a good idea.