PDA

View Full Version : When should i add stabilizer?

thumpzilla
06-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Is there a specific time to add stabilizer.......the reason i ask this question is that i have been told that if i add it to a cloudy pool then i will not be able to clear it up. I have no clue if this is true or not.
I have an 18000 gallon above ground pool that was dark brown and full of about 4 inches of leaves on the bottom....i read about the BBB method and decided to take the plunge....i had some non-believers telling me that it would never work , that i would need all of these other chemicals bla bla bla....Anyways i went through the steps and just by using chlorine (with the elbow grease to remove the leaves first) i pretty much got the thing clean ......my problem is im losing the chlorine and it goes back to cloudy before i can do anything to the pool (my work schedule sucks). Im sure i will need to give more info in order to give a better idea but unfortunately im out of time because im on a lunch break at the moment.
.......Should i add stabilizer to a cloudy pool or not?...........I thank you for taking the time to answer and i greatly appreciate any help i can get.

Watermom
06-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Post some current water testing results for us to look at and then somebody here can better advise you. Also, tell us what kind of chlorine you have been using -- ingredients, not just brand names or 'shock.' Lastly, please fill out our pool chart with your pool's info.

Pool Chart Entry Form (http://goo.gl/cNPUO)
Pool Chart Results (http://goo.gl/PXaLu)

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

thumpzilla
06-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Im sorry but i will have to do another test on my water .....i dont recall what the numbers were ......but i used liquid sodium hypochlorite at 6.75%

aylad
06-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Generally you need to get any messes in a pool cleared up before you add the stabilizer . Whether the cloudiness is from impending algae or something else, we don't know, which is why Watermom asked for test results. I would test for your chlorine at night, then test for chlorine again in the morning before the sun is on the pool. If you lose 1 ppm or less of chlorine overnight, then go ahead and keep adding bleach, but also go ahead and add your stabilizer. If you lose more than 1 ppm of chlorine, then shock the pool and hold it at shock level (12-15 ppm if your CYA is 0) until you can pass that overnight test....and THEN add your stabilizer.

Janet

PoolDoc
07-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Sorry your post & membership got lost in the crush; not sure if you still need help, but your membership has been upgraded. -ben