PDA

View Full Version : New/Used pool start up-newbie-help needed

N2LEN
06-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Last year I purchased a used 18' x 52" above ground swimming pool. It was manufactured in 2008 by Delair model Symphony series. Along with the pool came a Hayward Perflex model EC40ACDE filter with a Hayward powerflow matrix pump. I had the pool professionally disassembled and stored and then we had it professionally reinstalled at my house yesterday. The only thing we added new was a pool liner. The pool contractors added about 3" of my house well water to straighten the liner and tomorrow we are having a bulk water delivery of chlorinated water. I believe it is taken from city tap, but was told that it was chlorinated water. A couple of quick questions...
What should my process be for treating the pool chemistry on such short notice?
Can I buy a water test kit from Walmart?
In reading this forum, should I purchase bleach, borax, etc...
Can anyone make any recommendations on any pre testing/service I can do my DE filter and pump tomorrow early to make sure it is ready for filtration? The filter hasn't been used in over a year.
I'm hoping someone can help me on such short notice. I have done some reading on how to work the pump/filter, but if someone could walk me through what I should do before I plug it in, I would appreciate it. Do I need to still add DE into this used filter?
Thank you!

PoolDoc
06-27-2012, 05:07 PM
We can't check our your pump for you, but we can tell you to get a K-2006 test kit and to use EITHER a Walmart HTH 6-way drops kit (preferred) OR any cheap OTO / phenol red kit.

Your pool has about 7,400 gallons of water (PF=16), so while you are at Walmart, get 10 gallons of PLAIN 6% household bleach, 2 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax, and about 4 pounds of stabilizer (cyanuric acid). Each gallon of bleach will add 8 ppm (16 x .5) of free chlorine; each pound of CYA will add 16 ppm of stabilizer; each box of borax will raise your pH exactly "some". ;) Also get EITHER a gallon of muriatic acid (at Lowes, etc.) OR 5 lbs or so of pH Minus (sodium bisulfate)

Add 1/2 gallon of bleach EACH evening, till you have your pool on a program.