PDA

View Full Version : Intex 12 ft by 30 inch pool

TiffanyMcEwan
06-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I just bought my first above ground pool and have gotten it set-up and filled with water, but I cannot understand the instructions on how to get the pool balanced. I bought the hth started kit and it seems to contradict itself. One place it says to adjust the chlorine levels before adding stabilizer and another place it says to make sure the chlorine is balanced before adding the stabilizer. I am so confused.

Also, I do not have a skimmer on my pool, or at least I don't think I do. The pool came with a Krystal Clar Model 603 Filter Pump. The instructions are minimal and it refers me to go to my neighborhood pool store to get help.

How do I get started?

aylad
06-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

Do you have a test kit--one that uses drops, instead of strips? If so, run a test for pH and alk. You probably don't have any chlorine in it unless you've added it already (and if you have, test for that, too). You don't have any stabilizer (aka CYA) yet, so don't waste that reagent. If you don't have a kit, then do yourself a favor and get one....check your local WalMart for the hth 6-way kit, which will work until you get a better one. If all else fails, at least get the cheapie OTO (uses red and yellow drops for chlorine and pH). Test with that and post your results here. Also, did you fill with well water, or city water?

In a pool your size, I'm estimating about 1700 gallons. For now, if you'll just add 2 cup s of 6% bleach into the return stream, that will increase your FC by about 4 ppm. You'll want to maintain 3-6 ppm in your pool in order to keep it from going green, until you have stabilizer in it. You can add your stabilizer (target about 40 ppm) in an old sock and suspend it in front of your return--it will take a few days to dissolve, and you'll have to add chlorine a few times a day until the stabilizer is dissolved in order to keep the sun from eating it all up. These things can be done simultaneously.

TiffanyMcEwan
06-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Thank you Janet,

I filled with city water and have not yet tested with anything. I tried to find the 6 way tester at all my local walmart and similar stores and was only able to find the two way or three way tester at K-Mart. I have chlorinating granules, hth brand. Should I use those first or just plain liquid chlorine? These might seem like silly questions, but I am completely new to this and just can't seem to make sense of it all.

Thanks for all your help!

Watermom
06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Give us the ingredient list for the granules.

You remember what your teachers used to tell you ----- the only silly question is the one you don't ask! That is why we are here. Ask away!