PDA

View Full Version : Level Ground

Sandee
06-26-2012, 01:33 PM
HI everyone! Is there an EASY way to level a 24x12 area of ground without renting a CAT, etc. etc? We have the Ultra 12x24 Pool and we were 6 inches off (end to end). We have tried different things, and took the pool down last summer because it was unlevel and want to insure level ground so we can keep the pool up over the winter season.

Any suggestions?

P.S. is there an easy deck design (two sided) for this pool?

Watermom
06-26-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm going to ask one of our Pool Forum Support Team members --- Waste aka Ted --- to comment on your questions. He is a pool installer and may have some good advice for you. He's a busy guy ....... so you'll have to be patient and wait for him to have a minute to get to your thread, though.

I will say that from my own personal first-hand experience with doing it, leveling ground for a pool installation is hard work and a real 'pain-in-the-you-know-what'!

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

waste
06-26-2012, 07:46 PM
HI everyone! Is there an EASY way to level a 24x12 area of ground without renting a CAT, etc. etc? We have the Ultra 12x24 Pool and we were 6 inches off (end to end). We have tried different things, and took the pool down last summer because it was unlevel and want to insure level ground so we can keep the pool up over the winter season.

Any suggestions?

P.S. is there an easy deck design (two sided) for this pool?

Welcome to The Forum!

Unfortunately, brute force is the only way I know of to level earth :( You can use a machine or do it with picks and shovels, but you need to remove the offending ~6" of dirt - or build up the lower side, using similar tools .Any disturbed, or just placed dirt/ material will need compacting/ releveling/ recompacting . The 'easy- set' pools don't seem, to me, to be either :mad: (on that line of thought, any structure you might put up would need a solid and stable base for the load bearing posts)

Every pool needs a proper base to support, not only the walls but, also the weight of the water. The floor also has to allow for the wear of walking and vacuuming.

In short, unless you have been blessed with a ~ level area of your yard, which will accommodate your pool, you'll need to physically make it so in order to have a more level pool.

I'm more than willing to discuss your options with you so that you get the best pool you can have :)

Sandee
06-26-2012, 10:34 PM
LOL, I know - its so frustrating. Here's the thing.....we purchased the 24x12x52 Intex and we LOVE it...our ground is pretty level except that its about 6 inches off from one end (the 12 ft end) to the other. grrrrrrr.....the other thing I was wondering about was leaving the pool up over the winter (Michigan) ~ We are hoping if we can cover it (either by building a deck around it or some other means of covering it......if this pool can withstand being left up?

Watermom
06-26-2012, 10:54 PM
6 inches off level is quite a bit.

Sandee
06-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Oh, I know. so, we are going to attempt to fix that this weekend.

Watermom
06-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Let us know how it goes.

Faefyre
06-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Just had to deal with this same problem to put my Intex Ultra 22'x52" pool up. The house I bought had a 24' pool in it previously (against a wonderful deck) but since it was foreclosed they had torn it down and left a twoo foot drop in one half of that level circle. I did a lot of research on how to level it safely since we needed to do it ourselves. Your best bet is to get a 4' level (a cheap one will work if you need to buy it, got one at Lowe's for $15 myself) and a 10' 2x4 board then tape the 4' level to it. Use it to find the HIGH spots in your unlevel ground and dig out the high spots. Much easier than filling in and trying to compact the ground correctly. I actually had to till out the high side in my area and level the ground that way. It worked (pool is up and within 1" of level) but was 5 days of hard work! But so worth it!

Good luck!

Sandee
06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone! Wow Faefyre - 1 inch is great! I'll let you all know how it turns out and thanks for all the awesome advice.

Watermom
06-28-2012, 11:22 PM
What Faefyre did is pretty much what we did when our first pool was installed. You're not kidding that it is hard work! I didn't think we were ever gonna get it level. We would dig a little on one side --- OOPS, too much! So, then we'd go and lower the higher side ---OOPS, still off a little. Repeat, repeat, scream, sweat, repeat, repeat, AAARGHH!, repeat, repeat ------ SWIM!!!!! It was hard work, but so worth it! Good luck!

Sandee
07-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi watermom! Pool is up and running!!!!!!! after hours in the hot sun and 6 hours, the pool is only 1 1/12 inches off (one end to the other) so I am satisfied lol...thanks mom!

PoolDoc
07-01-2012, 07:41 PM
membership upgraded. -ben