PDA

View Full Version : Started to use HTH products for 12x30 metal frame pool Want to switch

cgm8679
06-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi. We just got our Intex 12x30 metal frame pool. We started using HTH pool products. A friend suggested this site and I was wondering if I can switch to using the household products that you all suggest. What, if we are able to do so, would be the procedure. From what I read, I gather bleach (6%) takes the place of chlorinating granules, baking soda takes the place of TA increaser, and borax takes the place of ph plus. I am in need of a routine. I need to purchase the testing tubes. I this time I only have the 3 way strips. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.

aylad
06-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

You would be doing yourself a favor to switch away from the hth products, in my opinion--these days they've added so much extra "mystery goop" to their products that it's really hard to tell what's actually going into your pool. You can absolutely switch to our methods, but there's really not a procedure--we're using essentially the same thing you are, just in cheaper and more pure forms :) Bleach does replace granules (but there are times when granules have their place), baking soda is exactly the same thing as TA increaser, and Borax is the same as pH plus.

You do need to get your own test kit and not rely on strips--they are simply not accurate enough to run a pool with. We very highly recommend the K-2006 test kit linked in my sig--it seems a little pricey, but it will literally save you hundreds of dollars (not to mention headaches and swim time because your pool is pretty and clear) over even the first season.

If you would take a few seconds and fill out this chart with your pool's info, so we don't waste a lot of time and posts going back and forth to get basic information, and get your test kit and post a set of numbers, we'll be glad to get you into a routine that will work for you ;)
Pool Chart Entry Form (http://goo.gl/cNPUO)
Pool Chart Results (http://goo.gl/PXaLu)

cgm8679
06-25-2012, 08:00 PM
I filled out the Pool Chart Entry Form. I was unsure of this Thread Number. I hope that I provided all the information you need.

Watermom
06-25-2012, 10:46 PM
cgm -- I couldn't find your username in the list. Check the Pool Chart results and tell me what line your info is listed on, please.

cgm8679
06-25-2012, 11:06 PM
#169 I put in the wrong PF User ID. Sorry this is getting to you so late. Can I edit the information?

Watermom
06-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Ok. I thought that line might be you. You can't edit it, unfortunately. We have to do it, but it isn't something we are going to get to for awhile because we are so swamped answering posts right now. This is our super busy time up until the fourth of July and then things calm down a bit.

When we are working to help somebody, we scroll through those results looking for a member's username and find their info. It will be quite confusing to anyone who is trying to help you when they can't find your name in the list so why don't you go ahead and just make a new entry with your correct username. That will make it easier for you to get help.

Let me know when you have done so and I'll make a note to delete the other one.

cgm8679
06-25-2012, 11:33 PM
I created a new entry on the Pool Chart. Sorry about that.

Watermom
06-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Ok. I'll make a note that the other one needs to be deleted.

Order the Taylor K-2006 kit from my signature below and since it is only available online, get a kit to use in the meantime. Get a cheap OTO (yellow drops) / phenol test kit, or if available at YOUR Walmart (check availability (http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668)), get the HTH 6-way DROPS test kit, which is compatible with the Taylor K2006. Test the pool as soon and you can, and post the results. If you get the 6-way kit, ALSO test the water you FILL the pool with, especially if it's a well, and post THOSE results as well. (The HTH is the best available kit you're likely to find locally, but it's not the K-2006. It can only provide rough measurements chlorine levels above 5 ppm, and it measures "TOTAL" hardness, rather than "CALCIUM" hardness, which is not ideal.)

I would also suggest that you read a thread in the "Pool Chemistry for Intex-Type Pools." The thread I want you to read is the second stickied thread at the top of that forum.

Come back with further questions and we'll go from there. Hope this helps.

PoolDoc
06-27-2012, 09:48 AM
membership upgraded. -ben

aylad
07-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Since there are two different threads going in two different forums, I'm going to lock this one and ask that any responses be posted to her other thread here http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17524

so we can keep it all in once place.

Thanks

Janet